Home Forums Module 1 – Designing for Cycling: What do you need to know? M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling? Reply To: M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling?

Liz Irvin
Participant

Hi, I’m Liz and I work as a transport planner in Cambridge, the cycling capital of the UK. We’re possibly the only place in the English speaking world with cycling levels approaching those of the Dutch, with around 30% of trips made by cycle. I’m originally from Australia (Melbourne) and have also lived in Canada (Quebec City/North Bay, ON), and I’ve worked or volunteered in cycling advocacy in all three countries.

1) What areas of expertise do you identify with?
I am a scientist turned engineer turned transport planner, with a few years of cycling advocacy under my belt. I think coming to transport planning from an unrelated background serves as a benefit for me, as I have no assumptions about what is or isn’t possible on our streets. I focus on cycling as much as possible in my work and have had the opportunity be be involved in projects across the UK.

2) How do you think your unique perspective will enhance our collective understanding of designing for cycling?
I firmly believe that cycling is at least part of the solution to most problems we face as a society. Thankfully this isn’t a unique perspective, although it can sometimes feel that way. I try to be a positive and enthusiastic spokesperson for cycling, and I work towards making cycling infrastructure more inclusive to enable cycling for all. Seeing the low traffic levels during Covid has made me realise how much of our streets are already cycling infrastructure in disguise, and I want to work to keep at least some of them that way.

3) If you wish, leave your name & contact & social media information here so other course members can get in touch with you.
On Twitter I am @Velizipede, and my LinkedIn profile is: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lizirvin/

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top