Reply To: M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling?

Home Forums Module 1 – Designing for Cycling: What do you need to know? M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling? Reply To: M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling?

Laura Keegan
Participant

Hey everyone,

My name is Laura. I’m from Dublin and work as an account manager for a social media monitoring company. I have no formal background in transport or architecture, but have always been a bit obsessed by transport, cities and creating places. Dublin is a bit of a scary place to cycle (as anyone who might have attended last years Velocity will know), so I actually don’t cycle much in the city but spend a lot of time thinking about how it could be better served by cycling and advocating on social media alongside local advocacy groups for improved infrastructure.

I don’t really have any specific expertise that I identify with. Because of my lack of formal learning, I have picked up a variety of insights from a lot of different sources online. So a lot of what I know comes not just from cycling urbanism, but understanding how streets should work in terms of public space, transport both active and public, and the scale and purpose of the buildings surrounding them. I tend to walk around cities I visit, looking at their infrastructure and design, noticing things that are done well or could be improved and thinking how we could do something similar in Dublin. I also spend a lot of time pointing these things out to my very patient girlfriend!

I’m not sure what perspective I’ll be able to provide but I’m always curious and eager to delve into things that are new or that I don’t know much about. Hopefully I can share some knowledge I’ve picked up along the way, but I have a feeling I’ll learning a lot more from all of you! On twitter I’m @takeithandy

Shopping Cart