Home Forums Module 1 – Designing for Cycling: What do you need to know? M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling? Reply To: M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling?

Shannon Hill
Participant

Hi there! My name is Shannon and I’m an urban planner, Australian trained and worked for 20 years, but currently based in New York City. I currently work for a non-profit where I happily teach planning, architecture and heritage programs to elementary aged public school kids.

1. My expertise primarily lies in urban planning and design, with my most recent work involving greenfields, outer suburb project. Many of these projects were car based, with bicycle planning an afterthought, if at all. Having now spent 5 years in NYC I daily see the benefits of how greater transport options improve mobility for everyone, but also how we can, and still need to, do so much better from an equity perspective. I also know I need to learn more about how our streets can be made safer for everyone, and that the idea of safe can be different across race, gender and age.

2. I can offer several perspectives regarding designing for cycling. Living in two quite different cities (Melbourne, Australia and now NYC) has provided me with different experiences and knowledge on what our cycling infrastructure looks like, how it is used, and how it is perceived. Additionally, as an urban planner, I bring the policy based perspectives together with knowing the implementation of the policy is equally important. Earlier this year I completed the ‘Unraveling the Cycling City’ course which provided me with a strong theory and policy base from which to build on, and now I’d like to understand the practical implementation better.

3. Shannon Hill, @shannonhill_tw, linkedin.com/in/shannon-hill-29191030

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top