Home Forums Module 1 – Designing for Cycling: What do you need to know? M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling? Reply To: M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling?

Anonymous
Inactive

My name is Ali, and I’m a transport engineering based in Glasgow. Actually I’m the Transport Engineering lecturer at University of Glasgow where I’m currently revamping our courses to focus on active travel (walking, wheeling* and cycling) in urban areas. I’m really interested to see how George and Lior and able to present and teach the various design concepts.

My unique perspective? Perhaps what I can bring is some perspective on the “traffic engineering” mindset and how that creates poor design resolutions where it comes to cycling. I think within the is the concept of control, where in traffic engineering everything gets clogged up pretty quickly unless we control the flow. With pedestrians then you really don’t need to control anything apart from specific situations, like a stadium emptying. But where does designing for cycles fit into that? Somewhere imbetween or somewehere completely different.

*wheeling is a term we use in the UK to refer to a range of non/partially motorised options. Such as wheelchairs, power-chairs, scooters (although e-scooters currently illegal in UK).

Twitter@ @alistairmccay

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top