Home Forums Module 1 – Designing for Cycling: What do you need to know? M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling? Reply To: M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling?

Anonymous
Inactive

Hello, everyone! My name is Doug Gordon and I’m a safe streets and cycling advocate based in Brooklyn, New York. I have written for The New Republic, Curbed, Streetsblog and other media outlets about cities and am also a host of a podcast called “The War on Cars.” You can find me on Twitter where I’m @BrooklynSpoke

1) What areas of expertise do you identify with?

My professional training is in media and television, so in my activism and current work I like to focus on media images of cycling and how to market or sell ideas about the benefits of building better cities for biking. After many trips to the Netherlands and other cycling-friendly countries and cities, I’m interested in learning more about the specifics of good cycling design to further enhance my ability to explain such concepts to American audiences who might not be familiar with them.

2) How do you think your unique perspective will enhance our collective understanding of designing for cycling?

I approach my activism on the streets as a father first and foremost and want to build a city that’s safe for my children and all children. So the filter I use when thinking about good bicycle urbanism and design is whether or not it works for all ages, or at least down to the age of my son who is seven. As a TV writer and producer who has produced shows on science and history, I think I also bring the perspective of someone who is used to explaining sometimes counter-intuitive topics to mainstream audience. And we all know that explaining concepts such as induced demand or who narrowing streets or adding bike lanes can lead to better traffic flow for all users is a subject that confuses or even angers a lot of people!

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top