Home Forums Module 1 – Designing for Cycling: What do you need to know? M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling? Reply To: M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling?

Jeffrey Geerts
Participant

Hello. My name is Jeff Geerts. I am a program manager/planner with the state of Iowa’s Economic Development Authority in Des Moines, Iowa, USA.

1) What areas of expertise do you identify with? I work with several technical assistance and financial assistance programs that help communities with developing and implementing policies and projects to improve local quality of life. My background is in public administration and program development and not so much in the technical engineering or design field. I am the person that helps identify the resources and connects communities to the resources to help their community’s vision become reality.

2) How do you think your unique perspective will enhance our collective understanding of designing for cycling? When working with communities on approaches to revitalization, especially downtown revitalization, we stress taking a holistic approach integrating multiple topics such as historic preservation, transportation, upper-story housing, stormwater management, public art, energy, policy, etc. I may be able to bring some perspectives on thinking creatively about partnerships and leveraging financial resources. It will be interesting to explore the similarities and difference between continents. I’ve helped plan 20 years of study abroad trips to Europe on green urbanism topics for a graduate public administration class at Drake University, so looking forward to getting to know the many European participants in this course.

3) If you wish, leave your name & contact & social media information here so other course members can get in touch with you. Not a big social media user so far, but am working to be more active. Email: jeff.geerts@iowaeda.com, LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeff-geerts-04585667/, https://www.iowaeconomicdevelopment.com/Community/green.

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top