Reply To: Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

Home Forums Module 2 – Linear Infrastructure: Lanes, Paths, and Streets Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure Reply To: Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

This is Portswood Road in Southampton, UK. The area is one of the secondary retail streets branched off of the main city centre. There are 3 large stores (one, Waitrose, is pictured here), and many smaller shops and cafes as well as other urban amenities such as post office, church, and mosque. As you can see here, the bike lane is very narrow, I think around half a metre, and interrupted by bus stops, or sometimes just stop for no reason whatsoever.

The facilities in the shop are telling, it has a large car park (despite land being at a premium) and only a small number of exposed bike parking facilities. I have multiple times see bike carcasses there (locked bike with some of their parts being stolen, e.g. wheels, seating). Although these days bike security have seemed to get better.

google location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9236741,-1.3948049,3a,75y,22.64h,89.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swM8380CucftxN-lmmqgJDg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Shopping Cart