Reply To: Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

Home Forums Module 2 – Linear Infrastructure: Lanes, Paths, and Streets Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure Reply To: Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

Eyal Santo
Participant

Hi Doug,

Well, what example could be better in NYC than the famed Prospect Park West bike lane – oh, sorry – cycle track 🙂 I’ve had the pleasure of riding it, and of course I read all about the back lash and JSK’s stories about the fight, in her book. I know it was a political explosive barrel at the time, I don’t know how is it today. Nevertheless, here are my 2 cents worth of wisdom:

1. You are right when saying it is a bit narrow, so what are the chances of widening it? I see a couple of options:

a) the buffer zone: I am not sure if it is uniform all along the track, but it seems in places it is like at least a 2-3 footer. Is that so? if so – this is the lower hanging fruit – without much ado buffer can shrink a bit in favor of the lane

b) I take it this is politically much more complicated: trying to asses the street, it still has 4-5 lanes – with car parking on both sides  2-3 car lanes. Where it is 3 lanes a road diet is an option. Where it is 2 lanes it seems lanes are still quite wide – like 8-10 ft? Is it possible to “shave-off” like 1-2 feet from both lanes combined and hand it over to the lane?

Shopping Cart