Reply To: Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

Home Forums Module 2 – Linear Infrastructure: Lanes, Paths, and Streets Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure Reply To: Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

Mark Philpotts
Participant

Flame Tree Path Construction

This link connects a new residential development to an existing one and provides a quick cut through for walking and cycling. It was originally designed as an emergency access, but when I worked for the local authority highways department, we convinced them to make it cycling friendly.

The path is 3.1m wide which meets the access requirements of the London Fire Brigade. The centre bollard is removable to allow fire access, but generally only when there’s an ongoing incident that they need a secondary access point. The team used this as a learning experience being the first proper cycle track built in the authority area for over 20 years (and what was already there was poor).

We took knowledge from this scheme and refined it for other projects, but sadly, the political administration changed, became very hostile to walking and cycling and very little has been build since. I know work for a consultant applying my learning to other projects. Location here. The last laugh was that the new development has streets named after trees, so we got this link officially named as “Flame Tree Path”.

Shopping Cart