Reply To: Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

Home Forums Module 2 – Linear Infrastructure: Lanes, Paths, and Streets Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure Reply To: Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

Mark Philpotts
Participant

In reply to Charles Halliday’s Cedar Road photo.

It’s a good little example of taking an opportunity to make cycling more connected. Improvements I’d suggest;

At the western end I’d remove the kerbs running across the end of the cycle track for a smoother transition and I wouldn’t bother with give way markings as people are not having to give way to any main road here. I would also swap the bollard for something in white so it is more conspicuous to people cycling.

At the eastern end, the use of the corduroy tactile paving is an attempt to create a bit of shared space before people cycling rejoin the carriageway. The paving on the cycle track should be the tram type from tram and ladder tacile paving, but even that is a little messy still. Perhaps the cycle track could have ended in a little junction with the pedestrian crossing space being flanked by blister paving which might be a bit tidier. Also again, a white bollard would help.

In terms of opposition, I’m not sure you’d actually get any for a few tweaks.

Shopping Cart