Reply To: Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

Home Forums Module 2 – Linear Infrastructure: Lanes, Paths, and Streets Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure Reply To: Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

Colin MacKenzie
Participant

My response is for Andrew Russ’ Kirkstall Road in Leeds.

I think he already touched on a big change I would make here, which is to bring the bike lanes up to the same level (or just a shade lower than) the sidewalk here.

The main change I would make here is to remove as many of the right turn pockets as possible on this section of roadway. I don’t see the need for them to turn onto residential streets such as Sowood, Bankfield and Argie (and even further down at the various Woodsides and Barnbrough). This would allow you to remove the centre lane and widen the cycle tracks, especially on the south side of the street where they are dangerous narrow. Additionally, this would give space to separate cyclists from bus stops, where they currently interact.

Lastly, I would propose that all those north-south residential streets that were previously mentioned should be one-way streets, alternating directions for each street. They don’t provide strong connectivity to other parts of the network, and could be repurposed to be more cyclist and pedestrian-friendly, such as the woonerf treatment.

Given that we’re just outside the core of the city, and not directly adjacent to major transit (although Kirkstall has transit priority further to the west) I assume this is a more suburban area, with lots of drivers. So I can see a major pushback on all these items from drivers, as they will see it as an attack on their mode of transportation. However these change will likely do very little to impact their travel time on a day to day basis.

Shopping Cart