Reply To: Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

Home Forums Module 2 – Linear Infrastructure: Lanes, Paths, and Streets Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure Reply To: Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

Shannon Hill
Participant

Reply to #26907 (not sure if it’s replying directly or this is a new post!)

All these improvements look pretty new and neat! My suggested improvement for the top photo would be to make the bike lane wider, and also to provide a buffer to the traffic. I’d be a little nervous using this with no separation to the vehicles. This lead us to the likely impediments to achieving this. It is noted that the traffic lanes were narrowed slightly to allow width for the bike lane – I can imagine this was a difficult process and resulted in the slightly less than ideal width and lack of separation. Additional reduction of the lane width would not be possible without removing one of the lanes entirely, likely a completely untenable proposition. It looks like there is a nice median and perhaps sidewalk off to the right of the road. While perhaps not a great alternative either, but would it have been possible to create additional room here for a wider bike lane with buffer? Certainly demonstrates that retro-fitting our spaces is difficult.

Shopping Cart