Reply To: Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

Home Forums Module 2 – Linear Infrastructure: Lanes, Paths, and Streets Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure Reply To: Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

Mike Banim
Participant

Reply to Colin MacKenzie’s post about a protected bike path in Ottawa. Colin’s example shares some similarities to the emergency covid-19 bike lane in Dublin that I posted, in that it runs alongside quite a busy street, has some junctions with quieter streets, and is protected behind car parking with a buffer zone. Obviously there are significant differences as it has much stronger physical separation as it is a permanent piece of infrastructure.

Incremental improvements that I would see that could be made:

– The path doesn’t look that wide, so I think that could be improved. Either by narrowing the width of the car lanes (I’m not sure what Canadian regulations for minimum widths are), or by removing another lane.
– Give priority to pedestrians and cyclists at the junctions with the side residential streets. These side streets look like they’d have relatively little traffic, so rather than have the pedestrians and cyclists yield to the roadway at each junction, there could be continuous footway and cycle paths here. Continue the footway and cycle lane at their grade, so that cars crossing have to mount (via a bevel-edged kerb) the footway and yield to any peds or cyclists.
– Lower the grade of the cycle path slightly to make a clearer distinction between the footway and the cycle path.

Changes to narrow the car lanes (or to remove a lane entirely) would be met with opposition making predictions of increased congestion.

Changes to the junction design to a pedestrian & cyclist priority design would be opposed on safety grounds, and possibly also congestion grounds as above.

Changes to the grade of the cycle path might be of concern to disability groups, although I think this change would make it safer.

Shopping Cart