Home Forums Module 1 – Designing for Cycling: What do you need to know? M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling? Reply To: M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling?

Ryan Tay
Participant

Hi all, my name is Ryan. I am an early career transport planner at an engineering/design consultancy in Melbourne, Australia.

I completed my undergrad in sustainable systems engineering in 2019 which emphasised the bigger picture of some of our sustainability challenges – their environmental/social/political/economic context and engineering’s role in contributing to the solutions. My background and knowledge is on the engineering side, with an appreciation of and ongoing curiosity about the wider socio-economic and political drivers behind our transport challenges. I have also ridden a bike to get around for the best part of 7 years since moving to the big city and spent 6 months on exchange in Delft, Netherlands which opened my eyes to what a cycling culture can be!

While my knowledge so far is limited but developing, I hope that my skill set can one day bring more coherence to the delivery of safe and equitable bicycle infrastructure to our cities through an understanding of good design and ability to navigate the many non-technical barriers cycling infrastructure is often faced with.

You can find me on LinkedIn here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanxhtay/

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top