Successfully incorporate autonomous vehicles into sustainable urban planning
For sustainable future cities, the way people use and move around urban spaces must be reviewed. The town planning done now will have massive impacts on city dwellers’ quality of life in the years to come. This course will explore how autonomous vehicles should be incorporated into sustainable urban planning. Its people-centred approach helps to ensure the systems are adopted, ultimately creating eco-friendly urban mobility for a greener tomorrow.
Discover the potential of autonomous vehicles
You’ll see what self-driving vehicles are capable of, beyond the hype. The training material will show you how to critically evaluate what the ‘automotive revolution’ promises for future cities and what, based on the technology, we can actually expect.
Let people determine the focus of sustainable transportation
The central idea of this course is that for clean, sustainable transportation systems to be successful, they need to meet people’s needs and be easy to use. Once you’ve understood the potential capabilities of automated vehicles, you’ll get to apply that knowledge to typical town planning challenges. Mobility requirements, general acceptance of new urban planning policies and transport systems, and other key obstacles will be explored.
In this course, you will:
– Critique reports and claims related to automated vehicles and other forms of “new mobility”
– Describe human, social and urban factors in planning decision making, in contrast to technical factors
– Reflect on potential second- and third-order impacts of the deployment of AVs
– Consider low-car ownership as an enabler of AV development in cities
– Develop a city plan outline, including plan staging, toward your stated end goals
About the course
Free & Paid Options
You can access and participate in the course for free. If you want to earn a certificate upon completion, you can purchase it. The certificate will be accessible only once the course is successfully completed. Read more here.