Post a Picture – The Weakest Link

Viewing 52 reply threads
  • Author
      George Liu
      Keymaster

Post a picture showing a major point of weakness for cycling on a street or roadway in your area of influence.  This should represent a pain point for people who use this piece of infrastructure. Your example can be as simple as a broken curb or a larger in scale such as a poorly designed intersection. And if you can, drop a Google Maps link so we can explore the area for ourselves.

Unsure what is in your area of influence? If you are an activist in your neighbourhood, this can be a street a few blocks from your house. If you are an international consultant, this can be a project you are working on in another country.

Andrew Russ
      Participant

The rest of this route comprises a stepped cycle track. However, at this stop line cyclists and motor vehicles receive a green signal together. With no separation in space and time there is the consequent potential for left turning vehicles to hit cyclists using the marked lane.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.8047306,-1.5326963,3a,75y,124.48h,81.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAh4x5IGXWki43KDoifseIw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

A61/Regent Street junction, Leeds

Arnout Boelens
      Participant

University Ave to Palm Drive

This is one of a couple of weak links in Palo Alto. Stanford has excellent cycling infrastructure on their campus, and Palo Alto has a decent cycling network, but for the most part they are two isolated islands. This weak link is especially troublesome because the Palo Alto train station is also on this road, and good cycling infrastructure here could go a long way to solve the last mile problem. On reason why this intersection is hard to fix is the many jurisdictions: Stanford University, the city of Palo Alto, Caltrans (State of California), and Caltrain (local commuter rail).

This is the location on google maps

And another example

Jo-Anne Burgess
      Participant

Foothill Blvd in Oakland, CA is a shared street in East Oakland. Lanes are very wide until this intersection but drivers insist on staying close to people on bikes when driving on this street. At this particular intersection, the road goes from two lanes of car traffic to one. The lane on the left becomes a turning lane with no signage or paint to alert people, which results in cars swerving over to the right at the last second because they’re caught off guard or in order to get in front of people on bikes.

https://goo.gl/maps/8U6XCrszXuXiAqZF8

Stenbocksgatan is a major north-south link in Helsingborg. Cars are prioritised. Some parts have bicycle paths or lanes, but whenever it gets tight they just disappear.

Here is the street on Google Streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/Y5toMqNcm61jmMzHA

Marti Kiraly
      Participant

I find it dangerous how this cycle lane ends.

https://goo.gl/maps/JY5n47F3STvPBvu9A 

Bogota is a very, veeeeeery large city, so most of the +500km of bike-routes were built in the center of roads, or even highways (as you can appreciate in the first line pictures). At street level I consider them very safety as they are way separated from the traffic using green areas or hard separations. This large bike-lanes can be a good choice when you have to commute a very large distance by bike, which is something common here, though. (For example: I used to bike 14 km between my house and my Univ.)

The problems come when some of this very large bike lanes need to be connected with others; the city has its districts often separated to others by lakes, highways, hills or parks, so the “solution” that has come out, was the extension of the bike lines OVER bridges (that were designed for cars). For many people isn’t a real problem, but the slope of this bridges is, as I said, designed for cars. I’ve seen many people having trouble climbing this routes because they have a very steep slope; children, delivery worker, third age people…

Now, another problem that many people maybe don’t care is the sound. Lets just image you’re climbing the bridge in the first picture (in second line) and suddenly a truck honk for any reason. You may loose the equilibrium and fall, and probably falling into the car lane… with fatal consequences. I don’t want to imagine that that has happen to someone, at least this bike lane is wide so you can cycle in the center.

Nick Sully
      Participant

This intersection was part of my daily bike commute. Just before the intersection, the bike lanes had suddenly stopped. I then had to turn left here. The lights at this intersection were phased so that on this approach there was always either a green light for through traffic or a green arrow for left turning traffic. This forced me to cross a busy lane to the left turn lane while cars were also trying to pass me.

The location on google maps is here: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1489194,-79.2501979,3a,75y,236h,81.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sE8SPmiB67xrR2zhtA3XDYA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Chen Munn Tham
      Participant

Following my earlier post about cycling along the PCN on Old Upper Thomson Road, one would approach the junction where vehicles turn into a road leading to Upper Peirce Reservoir. There is very little number of cars that use this road in comparison to the volume of joggers, walkers and cyclists on the PCN. Clearly it makes sense to give priority to the active mobility users and design the junction so that cars can deliberately slow down further. I see this as a weak point in the design based on the evidence of the type and volume of traffic in the area.

Mark Philpotts
      Participant

This is the CS2 cycleway just east of the City of London on the A11 Mile End Road. There’s a couple of sections where the protected cycle track ends and people end up cycling in a part time bus lane where people can park/ drive outside the hours of operation. Definitely a weak link. https://goo.gl/maps/wsway4JTvghmQChC9

PIERRICK BLONS
      Participant

This is one major intersection of the city. It’s the start of an highway for cars the crossing of a bicycle “lane” and dedicated bus lanes. The space for cycing is mostly shared with pedestrians and it takes a lot of time to cross as the priority is given to cars.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.449297,1.0643459,3a,75y,301.39h,83.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPyrM7Oa7N5xohhqk0Amp6Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Kate Seal
      Participant

M3L1 – THE WEAKEST LINK

Examples of poor intersection and bus stop cycle infrastructure:

As pointed out in the last module forum by another participant, the current cycle infrastructure of WOODSTOCK ROAD, OXFORD, UK is beyond help and needs a complete overhaul. The two way cycle path which shares the elevated sidewalk is poorly signposted, poorly delineated and frequently peters out for no good reason as well as at bus stops and intersections.

Below in photo 1 (remember we drive on the left in the UK) you can see that no one is obeying any of the rules.  The cyclist coming towards us is on the pedestrian sidewalk and the cyclist going away from us is in the bus lane.  Both would have to stop at the intersection with the incoming minor road.  And the car has right of way because it’s the biggest most protected form of transport and can cause the most damage.  The road is 3 lanes wide – room for a redesign!

Underneath in Photo 2 you can see a bus stop.  Cyclists going in either direction are required to get off and push their bikes in front of the bus stop.

BUS STOP.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Frenchay+Rd,+Oxford/@51.770337,-1.2717219,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4876c417f553d87b:0xa0bcf66346d0e885!8m2!3d51.770337!4d-1.2695332

Charles Halliday
      Participant

Farnborough, Hampshire, UK crossing A325 (main road) on gyratory near Farnborough Main railway station.

This is a main route to the north from Farnborough. cyclists travelling north are on the sidewalk (Shared Used Path) on the right hand side of the road. To continue north cyclists cross onto a traffic island using a Toucan (shared with pedestrians) crossing and cross the next traffic lane before continuing north on the sidewalk (Shared Use Path) between the blue hoardings and another guard rail.

The space is very restricted and creates conflict with pedestrians. Guard rails restrict cyclists and pedestrians alike. Moving through the crossing requires tight turns and long waits.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2956677,-0.7532069,3a,90y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5QeuFln_dHCZ0ViJkXjWzQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

A325 crossing, Farnborough, UK

Rebecca Laurel
      Participant

This is Leicester, UK. It looks great until you realise that the cars from the houses on the right have to drive down the cycle path to get onto the road. There are no signs to make cyclists/pedestrians aware that they may be moving cars. Likewise, there is nothing for the car drivers and they don’t tend to slow down. This is particular dangerous from the other direction because the path curves to the right behind the last house. The first time I realised that cars could drive down the cycle path was when I turned the corner and there was a car driving towards me, and I really didn’t expect it.

Arthur Ferrer
      Participant

Wayne&Fenton Intersection

This is the intersection of Wayne Ave and Fenton St in Silver Spring, MD. There is a bike path that ends/starts at the WSC. There is no other bike infrastructure in this intersection or markings that there is bike path entrance at this intersection. This is a busy intersection with a hotel above the WSC, retail on Fenton St, an apartment building with ground level retail, and library.

The bike path is protected and connects to other bike infrastructure in the area. Unfortunately the network falls off at this intersection. Bikers come off the protected path and from there are unclear where to go next. Pedestrians have a tough time here with bike path resembling the sidewalk, left turning cars, and crosswalks that aren’t well respected by motorists.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9948616,-77.0251089,17z

Antonino Amoroso
      Participant
      Padmadip Joshi
      Participant

The cycling infrastructure seemed very efficient at the beginning of its new facility. But it is planned at the adjacent to commercial buildings, people use this infrastructure to park their vehicles, open their gates and put goods on the tracks. Many roadside vegetable sellers also stand on the infrastructure. Even due to lack of signage and discontinuous infrastructure people are completely unaware with the purpose of such tracks.

Major Issues: Encroachments, illegal parking, roadside stalls, lack of cyclist, and high vehicular movement is the reason of failing such beautiful infrastructure in the city.

Google maps link: Designated Cycle Track Rajkot

Weakest Link for Cycling Infrastructure

Dermot Hanney
      Participant

So, the road outside mine has a painted cycle lane before the junction. However, after the junction the painted mandatory cycle lane disappears as the 2 traffic lanes southbound split around a kerbed area. This leads to very dangerous situations where both:

1. the cyclist who initially felt in a safe space in own lane, is now thrust into an uncomfortable space in a traffic lane with no way for vehicle behind to pass

2. vehicles proceeding at speed (despite what the 20mph markings say) expecting pass cyclist due to pre junction configuration only to realise at a very late stage past the junction that there is no space to pass the cyclist in front.

Sadly it feels as long as this layout remains a serious collision between a vehicle and cyclist is inevitable. I attach the before and after photos for junction as a comparison

https://goo.gl/maps/JXBcGSCfvnyb77U16

Before junction layout

After junction layout

Jesús Fuentes
      Participant

This is a street that connects to the City’s main cycle/shared use pathway along the New River; as well as to the City’s business district, Las Olas. The street is dedicated predominately to motor vehicles; & doesn’t offer proper connections for cyclists to these two main areas of interest.

Mike Banim
      Participant

This is City Quay, Dublin. One of our newer and nicer pieces of infrastructure. However it ends at this horrible junction. If you are turning left, or proceeding straight on, the experience isn’t too bad. But what if you want to turn right, and go across the bridge? 3 branches of the road to cross to get to the cycle lane on the other side of the bridge, and then potentially more crossings on the other side of the river.

james laing
      Participant

This is Moray Street in Melbourne and this section I refer to as the Moray Shuffle.

As you approach Albert Park you have some pretty decent but painted bike lanes with a little door zone buffer. The big left turn at the bottom usually means in the evening there is always someone either blocking the cycle lane or moving across it as you are trying to get through.

Pretty needless too as there is a parallel arterial road pretty close by.

Moray Street

Mark Woodgate
      Participant

Fish Island Bridge

In this picture you can see the Fish Island bridge in Hackney, which connects the Stadium area with the local neighbourhood, the bridge has steps where there could have been a slope, even if just to wheel the bike.

This cycle lane is located in the middle of one of the most crowded avenues of Sao Paulo, and it has places where vehicles can cross to access the other way, and some of them don’t have any traffic light, so the cars have to stop on the cycle lane to see if they can cross.

Jeffrey Geerts
      Participant

The weakest link in my local system right now is a bridge that was taken out by an ice jam in March 2019. This bridge is the missing link from my community’s trail system to much of the rest of the metropolitan area’s bicycle system including the main north south route to downtown. Unlike if this were a major auto bridge which would have been replaced quickly, bicyclist will have to wait until at least 2021 (2 years+) to have this missing link fixed.

https://goo.gl/maps/KL8rSUYHTovDHoQt5

missing trestle trail bridge

Michael Clark
      Participant

This is a typical pinch point in my city (London, Canada). Almost no intersections make it easy for cyclists to get across them in the city, even on routes with cycling infrastructure. Mosti intersections have sensors that detect cars and experienced cyclists will know how to position your bike to trigger them. This is not intuitive or obvious for inexperienced cyclists or those who are unfamiliar with the route. It is common for lights to NEVER change until a car comes to trigger the sensor. In that case cyclists have to go onto the sidewalk and push the pedestrian “beg” button to trigger the light, or decide to break the law and run the light.

Ana Castan
      Participant

Rozengracht-Marnixstraat Amsterdam
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>I think that this intersection in Amsterdam needs to be upgraded carefully. I don’t feel safe because it is too wide to cross safely and both streets are busy with cars and (I think) there aren`t street alterations when cars approach the intersection (just traffic lights)</p>
      I have never felt safe and one year ago, I was a witness there for a terrible accident between a truck and a cyclist. And I’ve heard it has been a black spot for cyclists over the years.

Adam St. Amant
      Participant

We have a multi-use pathway along an arterial road, however there are many intersections. The pathway bends back towards the road so that pedestrians and cyclists (who are expected to dismount) can use the crosswalks at traffic signals. There are few dedicated right turn lanes to store right turning motor vehicles who are often trying to quickly get out of the through lane. Motor vehicle traffic volumes along the road are around 30,000 vehicles per day.

Mayor Magrath Drive S

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.6801243,-112.8034344,3a,75y,178.76h,85.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjB7VlUdlgVRVhW4Wqnl6jw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Leo Dillon
      Participant

This 3 lane bridge to access the city centre  has no provision for cycling and at the city side has this roundabout for people on bikes to negotiate.

Traffic roundabout

https://goo.gl/maps/jSSSaFE7LySW5akB9

Richard Seager
      Participant

I’m tempted to post a picture of our Mayor.

But anyway there are many weak links in our cycling infrastructure in Dunedin, one of the worst is coming up to the intersection at Albany Street in the University Precinct which requires you to change to the other side of the road on the busiest one way road in Dunedin. Also the bike lane on both sides of the road would be lucky to be a metre wide. That’s here;

https://tinyurl.com/yb2j58qp

The bike lane is unseen at your left and continues to your right on the other side of the intersection where you can see the patch of green on the asphalt. Recently they’ve changed the pedestrian lights so as you can actually travel across diagonally. But you’d likely need to dismount and there’s no signs telling you that the cycle lane continues across on the other side of the intersection.

But the picture I have is from South Dunedin about 5km away from the above. Once again it’s where you have to demount your bike to walk it across the pedestrian crossing. The cycle track is shared with pedestrians as you can see on other side of road and is of varying width. The track that starts across the road is probably the best in Dunedin but lasts only about a km.

Sorry for the bad quality, it was taken at dusk with a phone camera that seems not that great.

Andersons Bay Road demount

Catherine Saldutti
      Participant

This is a major intersection near me in Los Angeles, California, which has not been designed for cyclists at all, but connects a large playground/recreation area on one side, a major highway entrance (Highway 5) and a major city park (Griffith Park) through Crystal Springs Drive. The road is named Los Feliz Boulevard, and it crosses with Riverside Drive and Crystal Springs.  A 360 degree view on Google Maps will give you a sense of this multi-lane road and its large intersection: https://goo.gl/maps/asahSMDzf5Zgqjmz6

This shot shows a disappearing sidewalk–right as you enter a major city Park! So there is no safe connector for bi-directional cycle traffic on this wide road, and on the wide road that enters the park from this intersection.

Richard Seager
      Participant

We have lights like that. I tend to do both, run the red light if there’s no cars about or push the pedestrian crossing signal if there is. But have never figured out how to trigger them without the help of a 2,000 kg lump of metal.

Kimberly Koh
      Participant

The weird curve in the cycling path is to avoid the lamp post, and the lamp post could not be shifted because it is used to shine the road path.

but this weird design makes the riding path not so smooth to ride.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Buangkok+Green/@1.3805033,103.8868301,19z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x31da164256992d1b:0x4229eb71ec1a2ed7!8m2!3d1.3793342!4d103.8826989

weak point

This is an intersection in one of the A Road in Southampton, UK.

As you can see this is a very car-centric intersection. Not only in terms of spaces, it is quite intimidating to try and cross the intersection, but also in terms of signage. The traffic light is difficult to see from the cyclist’s view.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9250438,-1.38737,20z

Intersection in Southampton, UK

Shannon Hill
      Participant

There are two friction points that immediately come to mind that I’ve ridden in the past week with my 12 year old.

This first one is showing the intersection of Columbus Ave and West 96th St, both major roads on the Upper West Side. There is a protected bike lane on Columbus Ave, it’s just hiding behind the cab, but it disappears as you reach the intersection and it merges into the right hand turn lane. Interestingly past Google Street View images show the protected bike lane paint at least extending to the intersection, but now this has disappeared. I don’t trust the cars to see me, or stop.

Columbus & West 96

This second one is on Central Park West. The bike lane itself has now changed (this image is a year old) and is now fully protected along some of its length with the rest to come (apparently). There are significant friction points with the bus stops along CPW. I was very unsure of where I was meant to be riding, and how the bus would also react. Very unclear.

Colin MacKenzie
      Participant

Bank Street is one of the main north-south arterials in Ottawa, running from the northern city limits to the southern city limits. For the most part, there is a lack of cycling facilities on it, although that should be changed in the coming years with a plan for complete streets that I am on the team of. This is one section, closer to downtown (and also on my old commute to work) where there ARE cycling facilities.

However, the problem here is similar to a lot of our problems in Ottawa, which is the bike lane just terminates as you approach the intersection. Whenever I’m biking around Ottawa, I always think about the NACTO handbook “Don’t Give Up At The Intersection”, since we here in Ottawa seem to give up at the intersection a lot. This location is especially bad since it is located at the bottom of a hill, with high-speed vehicles and cyclists interacting in the same space since the lane ends.

Google Maps pin: https://goo.gl/maps/8FxH5szP1vq63vvt5

Keep moving north to find a bonus weakest link, where a bridge crossing into a residential area has zero cycling facilities to speak of!

Liz Irvin
      Participant

This is the entrance to a brand new development in Cambridge, the cycling capital of the UK with 30% mode share. The cycling route goes from a lovely separate path, to a stepped track, to a murder strip. This is a very common junction layout in Cambridge where protected lanes meet signalised junctions.

Eddington Avenue Cambridge

Location: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2225939,0.0912994,3a,25.8y,29.64h,81.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYkTwJoYGVTQcXrC4kp2NSw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

Camila
      Participant

Hello everyone,

Here, I would say, one of the most important intersections in Mexico City. This is because it connects the two main business/comercial/financial avenues of the capital: Reforma and Insurgentes. At this point of the avenues the situation is as follows:

– Reforma has 3 outside car lanes plus 2 inside car lanes for each way. Next to each of the inside car lanes, there is a cycle path.

– Insurgentes has three car lanes for each way and in the middle a BRT system. Plus, due to the Covid-19, there is a new pop-up bike lane, therefore at this point you would see a BRT, two car lanes and the pop-up bikelane for each way.

The intersection is rather complicated and dangerous, there have been several incidents along the years, and although the Ministry of Mobility has worked on this intersection, I use it everyday to go to work and there is still room for improvement.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/19%C2%B025’50.2%22N+99%C2%B009’35.1%22W/@19.430616,-99.1619437,828m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d19.4306157!4d-99.1597546

Petrice Espinosa
      Participant

This is the main street of my hometown, Menlo Park, CA, USA. During the school year, hundreds of middle school aged children (11-14 year olds) ride this street to get to school each day. There are two stop signs on this section of Santa Cruz Ave within 30 feet of each other, forcing riders to stop, and then stop again moments later. I would like to see this street made either shared space or closed to cars completely.

Laura Keegan
      Participant

Hi everyone,

My pain point example is a two parter! The image below shows how the dedicated cycle lane on one of the primary routes leaving Dublin city centre simply ends at a pedestrian crossing. No cycle lane is painted beyond this point. The indicator as to where cyclists should go is on the blue sign behind the traffic light on the left. It’s common in Dublin for Bus Lanes to also be allocated as shared cycle lanes (terrible I know), and this sign is telling cyclists to use the bus lane as a cycle lane (the time periods indicate that outside of those hours all traffic can use the bus lane which is another issue in and of itself!). This is particularly dangerous when there is a bus stop just over a 100m past this point, with cyclists having to pull out into traffic to get around the buses.

This pain point becomes even more evident about 200m down the road at this terribly designed junction which I’ve posted a satellite shot of from Google Maps. (The lanes I’m talking about in this picture are the two at the bottom)

This junction is bad for cyclists in two ways. First the bus lane and therefore cycle lane switches from the left hand lane to the right hand lane as it approaches the lights. This puts cyclists in a dangerous position as they have to cross a lane of traffic to follow the bus lane. Secondly the layout of the junction is awful. Cyclists following the bus lane can only go straight ahead. If you want to turn left you can follow the kerb in the left hand lane, but there is no official space allocated to cyclists wishing to make the turn. The junction has a huge amount of space and could be a safe junction for cyclists but is poorly designed and leaves cyclists exposed as a result.

Given the importance of this route and the volumes of traffic it sees from cyclists, buses, taxis, cars and delivery drivers, the junction itself is a disaster, but the issue is only made worse for cyclists due to the unceremonious end of the dedicated cycle lane 200m earlier.

You can check out the area yourself here

Jordi Valero
      Participant

This is the end of the bike path in an important cross road without any one signal. This bike path could be important for the net because closes the urban area and bring near the schools and services area. This cross road is in fact like a main entrance of the city.

https://goo.gl/maps/RSwBcTYi9fbwmnXM8

Jordi Valero
      Participant

Mariusz Pleban
      Participant

Here is an example from Warsaw, Poland. A neglected link between two major cycle paths linking two districts. Pretty heavy bikes traffic (for the local standards of course). Cyclist need to mind a tree, a sign and a buffer plus the incoming bikes traffic from three directions. It is just 30-40 meters of investment.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Warszawa/@52.2123463,21.0066166,17.89z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x471ecc669a869f01:0x72f0be2a88ead3fc!8m2!3d52.2296756!4d21.0122287

Warsaw link cycle paths

Mehdi Hasanzadeh
      Participant

Bad design in intersection

Anna Gogola
      Participant

In my city (Patras, Greece) there are two fragmented cycling routes along the seafront.

Unfortunately, the northern off-road bike track on a limited part of the coast has been damaged by coastal erosion!

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2737107,21.7424076,3a,90y,217.15h,66.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scWUr58Ps__fNxrZk4JaNbg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Pablo Carreras
      Participant

Intersection in Vitry (France)

This is a very poorly designed intersection in Vitry (France), with a negative impact on travel conditions of cyclists, as well as all other road users! The size of the intersection is too large, with a vast road space in the center of it, which creates confusion and conflicts for car users, especially for those turning left. Due to the size of the intersection, the turning radii are too large, which allows drivers to maintain a high speed while turning right, negatively affecting safety conditions of pedestrians. As for cyclists, traveling on this intersection can be a stressful and confusing experience. There’s no protected bike lane, or even a simple bike marking, on the intersection. For these users, the risk of facing a conflict with a car, whatever their movement on the intersection, is very high. There is a bike lane leading to the intersection, but it disappears before reaching it, which shows that planners who designed this bike lane had no idea of the needs of cyclists. Overall, this intersection is very unpleasant and unsafe for cyclists (it was designed to increase car traffic and car speed). These types of “weak links” can strongly limit the practice of cycling in the city, especially for vulnerable users or less-experienced users.

Here’s a Goole Street link of this intersection.

Pablo Carreras

Silvia Szokolova
      Participant

Bad solution for cyclists

Stephen Williams
      Participant

Behind the camera is a main cycle way that runs along Swansea Bay. It is very busy in good weather. However trying to leave the cycle path instantly leads to problems.

This picture taken across a busy main road and of the connector road to the residential area of West Cross. Unfortunately the road is 1 way and goes against you. Your choice then is to cycle the wrong way down a 1 way road and risk death or ride on a narrow pavement and risk a £500 fine and being shouted at by pedestrians.

In my hometown, in Brazil, the cycling infrastructure is almost nonexistent and one of the only bike lanes in the city is not so well done and it is difficult to choose which is the weakest point.

So here’s the weakest point:

On the right side of this image, we have a bi-directional bike lane, but when we get here at this roundabout, it suddenly disappears.

Then, the cyclists have to go from the point 1 to the point 2 without any feature to protect them from the vehicules.

João Marques
      Participant

This is an intersection close to where I live, as you can see there are no designated bike paths and cyclists have to be in the middle of the road to ride. In this intersection, you can see how the illegal parking in the intersection blocks the field of view for drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists. Combine this road infrastructure network common in the vast majority of Portugal with a car driving culture and you get a very constant uncomfortable situation for cyclists.

Zoey Mauck
      Participant

This is a bike lane (on the right side of the street and image) that changes into a left-side bike lane once you cross the intersection. When traffic is busy, it’s impossible to get to the other side. They’ve installed a push button so cyclists can get a green “bike light”, but it still feels like too much work.

Location: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5886463,-93.6212542,3a,75y,259.33h,87.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIFiUpluiYVTSjaCb1WEH0Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Bike lane

Hugo Nicholls
      Participant

This is one of the weakest links on my ride to work (pre-COVID!) – between two sections of protected cycleway, a large and fast intersection with buses, trams, cars and trucks. Location: https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.8082695,144.9755745,108m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Noel Fennelly
      Participant

This is a raised cycle track across St. Conleths Bridge in Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Ireland. The raised track is quite narrow, directly adjacent to heavy traffic volumes and a vehicle restraint barrier is located on the inside of the cycle track, between the cycle track and footpath! The surface condition is also quite poor.

The bridge is located beside a major junction with heavy traffic volumes and is the main route to 5 No. schools on the opposite side of the bridge. There are also no dedicated cyclist facilities on the approach roads to the bridge. Needless to say, the cycle track gets very little usage. School children do not use it – the few children who do cycle to schools here, cycle on the footpath instead. Even experienced cyclists prefer to stay on the road than use this piece of substandard infrastructure.

Viewing 52 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart