Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

Home Forums Module 2 – Linear Infrastructure: Lanes, Paths, and Streets Let’s explore and discuss local examples of cycling infrastructure

Tagged: 

Viewing 121 reply threads
  • Author
      George Liu
      Keymaster

There are two parts to this forum:

1. After Lesson 1, post a picture showing what you consider the best cycling infrastructure in your area of influence. If you are an activist in your neighbourhood, this can be a street a few blocks from your house. If you are an international consultant, this can be a project you are working on in another country. This gives us an idea what context you are working in, and what steps to take next. And if you can, drop a Google Maps link so we can explore the area for ourselves.
      2. After Lesson 5, revisit through this forum and post a reply to another example that is similar to your own. Leave a reply stating:
        • a) what incremental improvement would you recommend for this particular example, and
        • b) what kind of political and bureaucratic opposition this improvement would likely encounter (such as removal of parking, fire trucks, etc… )

TIP: To post a picture, use the image icon in the toolbar, select your file, and leave the “Constrain proportions” box checked. The interface is a bit clumsy – we are working on improving this feature to include drag and drop.
      Instruction Posting Picture

FYI: filter using the topic tag “LessonChat” to keep track of all discussion posts related to course lessons.

Silvia Szokolova
      Participant

My town

Kate Seal
        Participant

Lovely, inviting bike path.

The only improvement I could suggest would be to use coloured asphalt (uniform colour throughout country)  to signal to pedestrians, cyclists and drivers where cyclists go. And also plant a few trees.

Possible opposition to coloured asphalt:

1.Cost.

2. Previous colouring.  A local city plan might already be implementing a colour signal (eg in London bike lanes are denoted by bright blue paint) which would go against a national policy.

George Liu
          Keymaster

Hi Kate, I’m dropping you a line to test the threaded reply function in this forum. This is a reply to a reply.

Jo-Anne Burgess
      Participant

Alameda, CA. Separate walking and cycling paths by the beach

Alameda, CA

A) If I had the opportunity to improve this space, i will apply a colored asphalt and signals to the bike-path. Also I will put a higher physical separation between the street and the bike-path, where trees can be placed. I’ll love to have trees in both sides though, I couldn’t imagine someone cycling during summer in California.

B) As this is in USA (or any other likely country), I believe any kind of inversion wich claims space from car roads (im referring to the space needed for the trees in this case) could end in a fallacy just like the inversion of taxes in more car road or whatevs.

Nick Sully
      Participant

Please forgive the google maps screenshot, I can’t make it to the location right now. This section of road is an important connection between a multi-use path and road bike lanes in the downtown of my city. The location on google maps is here:  https://www.google.com/maps/@44.3012677,-78.3188829,3a,75y,342.52h,84.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scDfXTt4b7xmOHKt_LIfhww!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Arnout Boelens
      Participant

The Bryant Street Bicycle Boulevard is one of the most beloved pieces of cycling infrastructure in Palo Alto. Stop signs have mostly been removed along this street, so cyclist don’t have to stop every block. To prevent this road from becoming a race track for cars, traffic diversions for motor vehicle have been installed at multiple places. This was the first bicycle boulevard implemented in the USA in the 1970’s.

Bryant Street Bike Boulevard

Here in Barcelona, there are different types of bicycle infrastructures, but for me, this is the type I feel more secure to ride on, because there are physical separations between both ways and the cars, there are two lanes for each side, and also as it’s located in the center, there aren’t people walking in the lane and it’s easier to see if somebody is crossing the street .

Camila
        Participant

Hi,

On the example #26040 of Barcelona.

The first improvement that I can see is to delete the dashed line, I don´t think it works for anything, the lane is too narrow. For this I don’t think there would be any kind of opposition.

It looks like a primary road, so the second improvement would be to make the bicycle path double wide by deleting the space for parking cars on the other side. I went on google maps and I can notice that there is not that much of a parking demand, but I can imagine that to do this there would need to be a political work behind as well.

Chen Munn Tham
      Participant

Old Upper Thomson Road winds through the nature reserve in Singapore. It used to be a car racing course in the 60s, then it became a 2-way road until last year. One of the lanes has been converted into a shared path (what we call a Park Connector Network or PCN) for pedestrians and cyclists. It’s a beautiful 7km round-trip through lush greenery and sounds of nature. You’ll see wild monkeys and wild boars. If you’re lucky, you’ll find pangolins and flying lemurs as well. I cycle here often to get out of the urban humdrum…. This stretch is probably the most scenic PCN in Singapore. (Link to Google Maps here: https://www.google.com/maps/@1.3805224,103.8195127,3a,75y,233.4h,89.27t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sJdhD8o2NrtHlrVSKCL_kpA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DJdhD8o2NrtHlrVSKCL_kpA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D179.21414%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192)

For cycling infrastructure in Singapore, we have a mix of PCNs and bicycle paths (which are asphalted in red). Today there are about 300km of PCN, and by 2030, there will be 1,300km of PCN and bicycle paths. However, we still have a long way to go in terms of getting more people to ride as a mode of transport – although there are visibly more cyclists during this Covid period.

Shared Path along Old Upper Thomson Road, Singapore

Kate Seal
      Participant

Oxford, UK
      M2 Lesson 1. Best local infrastructure.
      This is Woodstock Road (speed limit 30mph/48kph), one of the two main northern arterial routes into the centre of Oxford, UK. Currently it’s quiet in the middle of the pandemic but normally it’s very busy.
      Cyclists are invited to brave the bus lane or to join pedestrians on the raised pavement (sidewalk). See the tiny blue sign inviting you? Not sure if this sidewalk cycle designation is two-way or one-way – doesn’t say. But there isn’t a corresponding cycle lane on the opposite side, so could well be two-way!
      Shame about the trees and lamp posts in the way. Watch out! The designated sidewalk riding ceases abruptly, without warning, at intersections. And also randomly where there are no intersections.
      Bus stops are really tricky! When you’re on the sidewalk designated cycle way, you have to get off your bike and walk through the bus stop queue.
      This is the best Oxford can do but I feel a lot safer cycling on the sidewalk than the road, to be honest.
      https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7713653,-1.2668067,3a,75y,172.92h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sNsa3vVWyzL0ayADtEtvDVw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DNsa3vVWyzL0ayADtEtvDVw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.revgeo_and_fetch.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D172.91754%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Kate Seal
      Participant

Oxford again
      M2L1 – Best infrastructure
      Oxford’s other main northern arterial road – Banbury Road. Approaching Summertown from the south. A cycle lane. Not for a large cyclist, however.

Having cycled on a very similar cycle lane myself, an obvious improvement would be to widen the lane. The obvious opposition, of course is that would take up space on the already narrow street which needs to accommodate buses.

Perhaps, it would be good to allow only public transport, cyclist, and service vehicles here, thereby reducing traffic to make cycling more attractive. But that would also be met with opposition from drivers, the strength of which depends on how popular the route is for them.

The last thing I could think of is to make the cycle lane higher than the traffic, so level with the kerb. This would at least give buses and cars some sense of care while driving through to not be too close to the kerb and take away the already too narrow cycle lane. This would also allow large cyclist, in your word, to make use of a part of the pedestrian space, which, at least from the picture, should not be as busy.

Padmadip Joshi
        Participant

a) what incremental improvement would you recommend for this particular example:

The bike lane is strongly connected with safer infrastructure. With heavy vehicles on the streets, lane as wide as 1.5 m would be advisable for expansion. Or the effective use of walkways on the roadside can be used for slow cycling and pedestrian movements. It is already separated from the existing road that could work just fine with little signage, and warning instructions for safety.

b) what kind of political and bureaucratic opposition this improvement would likely encounter:

– Obviously the street is not fit to accommodate any sort of parking facilities

– It will create an unsafe environment for pedestrians as a cyclist would use the same space as them

– Situations can become unease during maintenance on sides of streets as seen in the image as well

George Liu
        Keymaster

Hi Kate, I’m dropping you a line to test the threaded reply function in this forum. This is a reply to your original post.

Anna Gogola
      Participant

Since there is no cycling infrastructure built in my home city yet, I upload a screenshot from a two-way separated cycling track, on the island of Kos, Greece.

Here is a Google Maps link: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8918268,27.2992691,3a,75y,272.89h,86.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_WYKBEFrYRXHyrhShQBOug!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Marti Kiraly
      Participant

I don’t have good cycle infrastructure in my area.

Charles Halliday
      Participant

Cedar Road, Farnborough, UK
      Cedar Road, Farnborough, cycle path was built in 2016 and opened up a road to cycling again. The road had been closed off to traffic in the 1970s.

https://goo.gl/maps/jYJWQBNCqxcUd2jT8

Mark Philpotts
        Participant

In reply to Charles Halliday’s Cedar Road photo.

It’s a good little example of taking an opportunity to make cycling more connected. Improvements I’d suggest;

At the western end I’d remove the kerbs running across the end of the cycle track for a smoother transition and I wouldn’t bother with give way markings as people are not having to give way to any main road here. I would also swap the bollard for something in white so it is more conspicuous to people cycling.

At the eastern end, the use of the corduroy tactile paving is an attempt to create a bit of shared space before people cycling rejoin the carriageway. The paving on the cycle track should be the tram type from tram and ladder tacile paving, but even that is a little messy still. Perhaps the cycle track could have ended in a little junction with the pedestrian crossing space being flanked by blister paving which might be a bit tidier. Also again, a white bollard would help.

In terms of opposition, I’m not sure you’d actually get any for a few tweaks.

Arnout Boelens
      Participant

Looks like a lovely place to ride along the water.

a) Two incremental improvements I can think of are:

• More separation from the parked cars. A green median in between the cycling path and the parked cars could make it an even more pleasant place to ride away from traffic
      • When I checked out this place on google maps (Shore Line Drive) it seemed that a lot of the side streets were lacking cycling infrastructure. When it is a busy day with people going to the beach, I can imagine it would be nice to have a good cycling routes to get to this path along the coast.

b) Some opposition I can think of:

• Creating more of a median and additional cycling infrastructure on side streets would mean either reduced parking space or a reduction in the number of car lanes. Both are probably not popular.
      • I could imagine people objecting to spending the money to make these changes.
      • A bureaucratic line of opposition used often around here in the Bay Area Peninsula is: “but it is not in the 10 year cycling and pedestrian plan to make these changes”.

This is Carrera 7ma in Bogotá (Colombia) city center. This used to be the path (link) between native settlements in the area 600 years ago. During the Spanish colony it was know as the “Royal Road” because it was used by the Viceroy in his arrivals from Spain. After the city grew up it became into a tram-way track around 1920s, but it was replaced by buses during 1950 and naturally became into a car road.

During the last decade this road started to be transformed, first by tactic urbanism, then by its complete transformation including a pedestrian zone with a 30 meters wide path and with a bike-lane with 2 meters wide made out of green bricks in order to maintain the pedestrian priority.

· Picture is a screenshot from youtube user Strolling Around Co video in wich you can see the whole road. This is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F37ZLnjdhhI

· Unfortunately Google maps has old footage in that area, but you can see the road while it was being under construction: https://www.google.com/maps/@4.6018096,-74.0731999,3a,75y,354.9h,74.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOQjfF9gVFF5UjmXN71BuQg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Thanks.

Jesús Fuentes
      Participant

The 1st picture is a conventional bike lane in a low-volume street accomplished by reducing the travel-lane width & modifying the shoulders to accommodate 4′ bicycle lanes in each direction of the corridor.

The 2nd picture is a 12′ shared use pathway recently widened/milled & resurfaced to improve this recreational facility popular with joggers/cyclists exercising during the day.

The last picture is an example of a bikeway defined by “sharrows” along low-volume, neighborhood streets. They indicate a shared lane environment for bicycles & automobiles; reinforcing the legitimacy of bicycle traffic on the streets.

I was involved in the implementation of all these facilities.

Cycle path Industrigatan

This is Industrigatan in Helsingborg, the town where I live in Sweden. I like that both the cycle path and the walkway continue uninterrupted past the side street. It is clear for crossing car traffic that cyclists and pedestrians have priority. I also appreciate that there is additional space between the cycle path and the car parking spots so that you don’t have to be afraid of getting doored.

Here is a link to Google Streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/8MFdaYQ8zie3yPtcA

Recently the city has implemented a lot of good quality bicycle infrastructure. But at difficult points cycle paths often just disappear and you find yourself without any protection in a big intersection. So what would make the cycle paths in Helsingborg more useful and valuable would be to combine the different pieces into one coherent network that is direct, safe and convenient to use as a whole.

Charles Halliday
        Participant

Hi Robin,

from a UK perspective this facility in Helsingborg looks almost perfect.

I think it would benefit from a contrasting color on the cycle path and setting the cycle crossing a car length back from the road.

Objections are likely to be cost and loss of green space for changes to the crossing.

Charlie

Mark Woodgate
        Participant

The use of the same material across the junction for the bicycle path makes for good affordance, but an incremental improvement might be to reduce the corner radius to slow cars, perhaps adding a level change with a ramp to slow the cars further.

a) what incremental improvement would you recommend for this particular example, and

In Barcelona, most of the touristic places, the cyclepath is in the footpath, only with a paint on the floor to separate them. And as tourists, they normally don’t see it, and make the ride complicated and dangerous for both modes. And the cyclepaths around the city aren’t colored also.
      b) what kind of political and bureaucratic opposition this improvement would likely encounter

I think that in some places, removing space from cars to put the cyclepath out of the footpath, and also the bureaucratic for the changing of floor colours.

This is the only separated bike path in Moscow. It looks good but bumps into a parking in front of Hayatt hotel and this makes it pretty usless.

https://goo.gl/maps/Hg6FSruZo6W1Xp549

Adam St. Amant
        Participant

Hi Anastasia,

Looking to the Hyatt section, we recently resolved a vehicle/bike conflict area by discussing the desired outcomes with an adjacent land user, in this case our local transit authority. We wanted to make sure people riding bicycles could safely reach their downtown destinations and they wanted to make sure buses could safely arrive at the terminal and have passengers safely and easily get on and off the buses. Together we worked out a solution where we would build a floating transit island, however the adjacent protected bike lanes would be raised to sidewalk level and be marked so that people riding bikes would know where they need to be and pedestrians would know where they had to watch out for bikes. My suggestion for improvement along this route would be to get to know the adjacent land user and to figure out the win-win scenario to complete this piece of cycling infrastructure.

From the limited information available on Google Maps, there are a few points of opposition (or points to work with to develop the win-win):

• This looks like a valet parking or customer drop-off zone. Modifications here will likely need to respect the hotel’s desire to maintain a high level service for their clients, including the ability for a person to get out of their vehicle an not immediately need to look for bikes. Space to unload luggage will also need to be provided.
        • The fact that the protected route is built north and south of the hotel suggests there may be reluctance to negotiate or change the roadway at this location. There may also be some history in the relationship would could affect negotiations.
        • There are a lot of maintenance hole covers in front of the hotel indicating that there may be many underground utilities at this location. Depending on how deep they are and what type, it may be expensive to re-grade for proper drainage if re-grading is necessary.
        • There does not appear to be a cycling network south of here to connect to, which makes it harder to argue to continue the network to the south. Does the City have plans to extend the network to the south?
      Alistair McCay
      Participant

Segregated bike path approaches large junction where people cycling are placed between motor traffic going straight on and turning left (we are in Glasgow so drive on the left).

Here’s a cycle path in Glasgow, Scotland. The whole road-scape was built around 2010. The bike path here joints the road with motor traffic, it squeezes people cycling between motor traffic going straight on and turning left.

Petrice Espinosa
        Participant

<p><br data-mce-bogus=”1″></p>
        Hi Alistair:

a) what incremental improvement would you recommend for this particular example:
        Given that cars turning left must cross the bike path, I’d like to see green paint or some other treatment to catch drivers eyes and remind them to check for cyclists before crossing that path.

b) what kind of political and bureaucratic opposition this improvement would likely encounter (such as removal of parking, fire trucks, etc… )
        I have never been to Scotland, so don’t know if green paint is common as it is in the US. Otherwise, it’s an inexpensive improvement.

Thanks for sharing this photo.
        Petrice

Alistair McCay
      Participant

Hi Charles,

a) the first thing I should comment on is a very small but important change to the tactile paving. Those ones are courdoroy paving arranged to communicate “proceed with caution” but if that is a short cycleway then they should be tramline tactile paving arranged parralel to the direction of travel for cycles.

I would also consider removing the give way markings etc on the cycleway. I don’t think they’re necessary in such a low cycle traffic residential setting and just generally clutter things up.

b) i imagine my colleagues who come from highways training would be panicked at the thought of removing such marking, as they percieve them as vital for safety.

Shannon Hill
      Participant

Image 1: Newly constructed protected bike lane on Central Park West, Manhattan. This was constructed following a cyclist death in 2019. It is not completely constructed for the full length, though is planned to be. It’s a really nice bike lane, but has issues with tourist buses parking in it (it’s adjacent to Central Park) as well as delivery vehicles. It also caused an uproar with apartment buildings on CPW as it required the removal of car parks…

Image 2: Aerial view of largely protected southbound bike lane on Columbus Avenue, Manhattan. Is not protected the whole length of Avenue. Protection is generally same width as green bike lane (except adjacent to turning lanes as shown here), but this is because NYC Sanitation Dept needs its snow plows to get through, and won’t buy narrower plows!Central Park West protected bike lane

Aerial view of Columbus Avenue, Manhattan

Nick Sully
        Participant

Hi Shannon,

a) I think a good incremental improvement to your example on Central Park is for some vertical separation between the road lanes and the bike lane. Adding a low curb could create vertical separation between the road lanes, bike lane, and sidewalk. Alternatively, a median could be introduced in the current buffer zone and perhaps some planting could be added to the median. It could prevent the tourist buses from parking in the bike lane. The added plantings could help improve the attractiveness of the route.

b) I would expect this might receive opposition from city staff, city politicians, or resident groups. Some may argue that the vertical separation would make snow maintenance more difficult or that there is already space for cyclists so it would not be an efficient use of city money.

Doug Gordon
        Participant

Hi Shannon,

I’m very familiar with this particular bike lane and the story behind its installation.

a) As an improvement, I’d widen it almost to the width of the plastic delineators and add a more robust separation that can’t be encroached upon by drivers. With that in place, it might be possible to make this a two-way cycle track that could eventually get some grade separation to put it at a similar level as the sidewalk.

b) The opposition would likely be similar to what preceded the lane’s installation in that local car owners might see not being able to use the buffer space for quick loading/unloading of cars as an affront to their right to access their buildings. This could be offset by installing loading zones on the other side of the street, but that would also take parking!

Graham McAteer
      Participant

Fredericton Railway Bridge

This is the Bill Thorpe Walking Bridge in Fredericton. It is the best piece of cycling infrastructure in my city, and possibly the province,  because it is grade separated from cars, and has an exclusive right-of-way for active transport users. It is spacious, has great views of the city, and connects the North and South sides of the city.

Here is a maps link:https://goo.gl/maps/3ApFtHk8Da5Re8AG9

The paths here tend to be grade separated, lined with trees, and quite pleasantly graded. This is because they are former rail right-of-ways, and this also means they tend to be surrounded by industrial areas. So definitely a mixed bag because while they are very pleasant they do not go where most people want to go.

This is Portswood Road in Southampton, UK. The area is one of the secondary retail streets branched off of the main city centre. There are 3 large stores (one, Waitrose, is pictured here), and many smaller shops and cafes as well as other urban amenities such as post office, church, and mosque. As you can see here, the bike lane is very narrow, I think around half a metre, and interrupted by bus stops, or sometimes just stop for no reason whatsoever.

The facilities in the shop are telling, it has a large car park (despite land being at a premium) and only a small number of exposed bike parking facilities. I have multiple times see bike carcasses there (locked bike with some of their parts being stolen, e.g. wheels, seating). Although these days bike security have seemed to get better.

google location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9236741,-1.3948049,3a,75y,22.64h,89.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swM8380CucftxN-lmmqgJDg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Gali Freund
        Participant

Hi Aditya,

This seems to be the perfect place for a narrow bike lane on each side. Although there are entrances into and out of parking garages, I believe that with the correct separation and a slightly elevated lane, cars will be forced to reach complete stop, look for the cyclist, and enter the parking slowly. It takes also a narrow entrance to the parking, which would make the car drivers to slow down, or else they would experience a sharper part of the physical separation between the car lane and the bike track.

Moreover, it seems like a sunny place, so I would recommend using the opportunity to plant trees on both sides.

Since nothing will actually be removed, I think opposition might come from more “general” reasons, such as “why should you put money into bike lanes”, “things are fine the way they are” etc. Obviously, the counter argument would be safety, that bike lanes attract customers, and that no one ever questions why we put more cement on a road or why we add road shoulders.

PIERRICK BLONS
      Participant

Hi all,

This is part of the V33 a national cycling away following the Seine river in Rouen, France. It’s actually the best cycling infrastructure you can find in the area even if it’s shared with pedestrians.

Doug Gordon
      Participant

Prospect Park West Bike lane

This is the Prospect Park West bike lane in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

It’s a two-way lane, only 8 feet across (4 feet in each direction) with a 3-foot white buffer between the lane and parked cars. While it’s narrow and does not allow for side-by-side cycling, it tends to work well and allows for two-way bike traffic on a street that’s one-way for cars. It also has had a traffic calming effect on the street, shortening crossing distances and forcing drivers to go slower. It was installed in 2010 and the fight to get installed was my entry point into bicycle activism and urbanism in New York.

João Marques
        Participant

Didn’t know NYC had segregated bicycle lanes within their existing road infrastructure! (barring the Hudson and East River boardwalks)

A great example of the Dutch model being implemented overseas.

Hugo Nicholls
        Participant

This is an awesome facility, a couple of things I’d suggest to improve:

– Install a raised physical separation of some sort (i.e. landscaping, kerb etc.) between parked vehicles and bicycles, would improve the legitimacy of the bicycle path, reduce risk of cars encroaching into bicycle path, and would improve the aesthetics!

I could see that amending an already functional facility would attract some criticism (i.e. why would we invest money here when there are other, less safe streets that need improving first!), and I’d be inclined to agree! This would be something to investigate perhaps once the demand increases, or once there is more widespread cycling infrastructure and there is a need to raise the quality of this facility to meet others. Great example!

Arthur Ferrer
      Participant

ProtectedIntersection

Here in Silver Spring, MD, USA we have the first protected intersection in North America. Couldn’t have asked for better timing with a Lime scooter going by. Construction was a bit of a mess, before the markings and bollards, people thought it was right-turn slip lane. The side coming from the south (right to left in the picture) has a tough time with stopping further back to accommodate the buses. Seen several buses try to make the turn and get blocked by a car sitting in the crosswalk at the red light.

SilverSpringMetroStation

Silver Spring, MD is under major construction right now to add some much needed public transit. Silver Spring is on the northwest border of Washington DC and Maryland. We have two major roadways with access to DC and a metro station, shown here. This is the entrance to the metro station, which is currently under construction to add a bike lane and tram station. The metro runs north-south, which leaves east-west to buses and automobiles.

After fighting for a decade, Maryland approved the Purple Line tram to run east-west, which will connect Bethesda, Silver Spring, College Park. This photo is from February when they added the tram track and the bike bridge.

Silver Spring Construction

Here is a better angle. I took this one from the third level of the bus hub that is connected to the metro station. The white canopy is the metro station. Construction has continued through the Covid crisis. The tram will run on the street as well, this construction has just started.

The bike bridge is part of a connected network that will run from Glenmont, MD (last stop of the metro station) to Washington DC, ultimately finishing a couple of blocks form the Capitol Building. The Metropolitan Trail currently exists and runs from DC to Silver Spring. I believe its around 90% separated from the road and runs next to the metro for most of the path.

If people are interested I can keep you posted on this construction. That massive crane was quite something to see in person. Brought out close to 100 people to watch them move the tracks in place.

Arnout Boelens
      Participant

Hi Arthur,

That looks like a beautiful intersection. In the corners I see concrete and something that looks like bricks. Is this to accommodate the turning radius of larger vehicles?

Thanks,

Arnout

Arthur Ferrer
      Participant

Hi Arnout,

There is concrete slightly lower than the brick to accommodate turning radius. There are bus routes that run through here, the concrete helps accommodate them through the intersection.

Best,

Arthur

Graham McAteer
      Participant

Hey Nick,

It looks like your city is on the right cycle track!

A few comments I have:

-The curb was redone recently, the city could have remove the second access to Harvey’s. Right now the bike crossing goes from one pole to another pole, rather than matching up with the path because of the driveway. Plus because of the angle and use of butterfly curb motorists coming from Sherbrooke St. can cut across the path at an angle. This means higher speed and lower visibility.

-Back to the curb again, since the city redid it they could have moved it to create a neck-down. Currently the road is at least two lanes wide and a neck-down would help with traffic calming. This would also shorten the time vulnerable road users are in the roadway as they cross, and make them more visible to motorists. Additionally that space could be filled with low maintenance vegetation saving the city money. The neck-down could be used at the stop sign on Water St. South of Sherbrooke.

-The motor vehicle travel lanes look like they are on the higher side of the standards. Thinning them will free up space for other uses, and help with speed control.

-Speaking of speed, I didn’t see a sign but I’m assuming it’s a 50km/h zone? Lowering that may make it more pleasant for cyclists.

-I think it’s great that the contra flow cycle track is protected by a median, it makes it lower stress and helps motorists understand what is there.

As for the opposition to this improvement, I think there will be three main opponents, the City’s politicians, the Businesses, and the Engineering Department. Harvey’s will be displeased at losing an access 40m from another access. City politicians won’t want to spend more money when they have already spent some because they will look bad. The most insidious opposition will be from professional engineers who design this stuff. They will say the lane has to be 3.5m wide when 3m is plenty because of “standards.” These standards fail to account for human behaviour or generally for non-motorised users. Plus many will have been trained to think of roads as a car space where cyclists are welcome rather than the inverse.

Kate Seal
      Participant

Hi Aditya
      Our best of British examples are exciting, as there’s so much room for improvement. I would recommend a complete upgrade for your Portswood Road, Southampton illustration. The existing narrow and worn cycle lanes are probably more dangerous than if they weren’t there because drivers think they can drive right up to them, leaving no room for cycle error.
      I’d like to suggest a lower speed limit, aggressive traffic calming measures and protected cycle lanes. I like your suggestions about bike parking and bus stop upgrading. Or I wonder if Portswood Road is even a candidate for shared space treatment?
      There would be massive political and cost implications… I would also anticipate concerns about quick and easy entry to the supermarket car parks and emergency vehicle access.

Antonino Amoroso
      Participant
      Eyal Santo
      Participant

Moshe Daya Road, Tel Aviv

So this is the northbound uni-directional bike lane on Moshe Dayan Road in Tel Aviv, with the south-bound lane on the other bank of the street. Link to Moshe Dayan Road on Google Maps is

https://www.google.com/maps/place/%D7%93%D7%A8%D7%9A+%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%94+%D7%93%D7%99%D7%99%D7%9F,+%D7%AA%D7%9C+%D7%90%D7%91%D7%99%D7%91+%D7%99%D7%A4%D7%95%E2%80%AD/@32.0567589,34.8026264,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x151d4b0c5b5642b1:0x860e92f0eb8a7897!8m2!3d32.0567544!4d34.8004377

What’s missing in this lane are:

1. solutions in the intersections and the bus stops

2. better separation, as often cars cross the barrier and park on the lane, partially blocking it.

3. making it a foot wider to avoid dooring

4. better separation where pedestrians cross en mass

Objections are as follows (respectively with the numbered articles):

1. Israeli bicycle design guidelines & regulations have not provided solutions up until recently. So amending should be now only a technical issue

2. technicality

3. motorists objection for road diets

4. technicality

I like the simplicity of this example. Sure, the standard can be improved with different pavement or green space instead of markings, but this form of physical separation can be achieved quickly and efficiently in many streets that are too wide (and there are many of those). It can shift the momentum.

Eyal Santo
      Participant

Hi Doug,

Well, what example could be better in NYC than the famed Prospect Park West bike lane – oh, sorry – cycle track 🙂 I’ve had the pleasure of riding it, and of course I read all about the back lash and JSK’s stories about the fight, in her book. I know it was a political explosive barrel at the time, I don’t know how is it today. Nevertheless, here are my 2 cents worth of wisdom:

1. You are right when saying it is a bit narrow, so what are the chances of widening it? I see a couple of options:

a) the buffer zone: I am not sure if it is uniform all along the track, but it seems in places it is like at least a 2-3 footer. Is that so? if so – this is the lower hanging fruit – without much ado buffer can shrink a bit in favor of the lane

b) I take it this is politically much more complicated: trying to asses the street, it still has 4-5 lanes – with car parking on both sides  2-3 car lanes. Where it is 3 lanes a road diet is an option. Where it is 2 lanes it seems lanes are still quite wide – like 8-10 ft? Is it possible to “shave-off” like 1-2 feet from both lanes combined and hand it over to the lane?

Jo-Anne Burgess
      Participant

Hi Doug,

This looks very similar to my example from Alameda, CA. Except ours is largely recreational unless you live on the street the cycle track is on. As far as improvements go, yes, making the lanes wider to accommodate riding side-by-side would be great. As well as some physical separation from the parked cars. Given that widening the lane would mean taking more space from cars, I foresee some more of that opposition you previously encountered in the first fight for the cycle track. I suppose it depends on how many travel lanes still exist.

Jesús Fuentes
      Participant

Hey Doug!

a) what incremental improvement would you recommend for this particular example?

Do y’all have issues w/ vehicles entering this particular cycle track? It seems that there’s enough space to place some physical barrier where the buffer pavement markings were implemented. I’ve seen lots of examples on social media where motorist used bike lanes for deliveries as well as drop-offs/pickups. Tubular delineators might be a cheap option.

b) what kind of political and bureaucratic opposition this improvement would likely encounter (such as removal of parking, fire trucks, etc… ) I bet that to build this track “NINBYs” fought hard w/ advocates to relocate those parking spots. Was a lane eliminated from this route to make space for the track? Would like to know how cooperative the City staff & the HOAs were to get this done.

Silvia Szokolova
      Participant

This is a cycling crossing. I think it is completely useless, due to the high curbs on both sides and the bushes green and it is impossible to use it. Cyclists use pedestrian crossings and thus get into many disputes. We have repeatedly alerted the city administration to this problem, but the city has been arguing for a lack of funding for three years.

Silvia Szokolova
      Participant

This is another solution in our city, but the city council says it’s okay. I think it’s badly designed and very dangerous.

Dermot Hanney
      Participant

Cycle Superhighway 3 London – Cable Street Shadwell https://goo.gl/maps/vuQ9HfPJUNdC7XrUA

a) what incremental improvement would you recommend for this particular example

This street has a high cycling volume on too little cycle path space. At the same time, the current vehicle one way flow is too high and link is very straight so can have speeding.

Solution would be for a Bicycle Priority Street. Remove through traffic, leaving access only. Also remove parking to make it a cycling a priority in the space. It’s the main east west cycle route for the area.

Narrow cycle path CS3
      b) what kind of political and bureaucratic opposition this improvement would likely encounter (such as removal of parking, fire trucks, etc… )

Three key opposition area –

i. people from outside area use this corridor to bypass congestion on parallel A roads

ii. Local people use corridor for their parking of private vehicles

iii. Local bus routes use link to access bus stops and as bus terminus

Would need a strong knowledge sharing programme for 1. council to understand concept of Bicycle Priority Street and that it needs to fully prioritise 2 way cycling as its core function 2. would need to offset anger from local residents about lost car parking 3. would need to keep other residents onside with pedestrian permeability through corridor 4. would need to come to a satisfactory agreement with TfL on how to manage local bus access of street and wider area.

Pablo Carreras
      Participant

Piste des Forts (Strasbourg)

Piste des Forts is a ring bike route around Strasbourg metropolitan area (85 km long), serving 19 former military forts (hence its name) and crossing several green spaces. It offers very high quality of comfort for cyclists (large lanes, even surface, clear signage, attractive environment). In addition to being a touristic route, it responds to utilitarian trips between different cities in Strasbourg’s periphery.

Ana Castan
      Participant

Bike path Santa Engrancia Madrid

I live in The Netherlands, although I come originally from Spain. Maybe this is the best example of Madrid. Quite new, taking a lot of space from the cars, red asphalt, wider than other bike paths in the city. The network there is not connected at all, so from this bike lane, you go directly to share the space with cars. Too bad!

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4367378,-3.6995613,3a,75y,161.77h,83.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQDR4ZbDFpkkMuJk3w5FykA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Hello everyone!

There’s not so many cycling infrastructures here where I live now (Porto, Portugal). So, I picked up this GoogleMaps printscreen of what I think it’s one of the best examples.

Here’s the location: https://www.google.pt/maps/@41.1755871,-8.6349892,147m/data=!3m1!1e3

M2L1

Ana Castan
      Participant

Hi Anastacia,

That bike path is quite similar to what I shared in Madrid. However, I haven’t get your explanation of why it is useless (where are the Hyatt parking places?)

My improvements:

– red asphalt all the bike path (not just in intersections)

– Bikes painted on the bike path

– Some signs for cars when they are going to turn right. The parked cars make it impossible to see a cyclist from the driving mirror, right?

Camila
      Participant

Hey everyone!

This is a new cycle path in Mexico City. It is 1.5 km long along Álvaro Obregón avenue.

Álvaro Obregón

Laura Keegan
      Participant

Hey everyone,

This is the cycle track by the Grand Canal in Dublin. It’s the only fully segregated track in my neighbourhood and one of the best examples of cycling infrastructure in the entire city.

It extends along the canal for 2km, but crosses a number of junctions where there is no proper separation and has a particularly bad pinchpoint where pedestrians and cyclists share a very narrow path. You can check out the area yourself here.

The pinchpoint section of the track disappears in Google Streetview because there are no recent pictures taken since the track has been built and it’s also a tight spot for Google’s camera’s to access. If the track disappears on you and you can’t find it again, you can restart here and continue on until the end!

James Hatler
      Participant

Best cycling infrastructure in Kansas City, MO, USA.

KC MO bike lane behind bus stop

This is an upgrade that was built about a year ago, Google Maps still has the previous view.

previous view of KC MO

As you can see it is greatly improved, but as we are upgrading the city one block at a time, it is a slow process.

Financial District KC MO on Google Maps

Mark Philpotts
      Participant

Flame Tree Path Construction

This link connects a new residential development to an existing one and provides a quick cut through for walking and cycling. It was originally designed as an emergency access, but when I worked for the local authority highways department, we convinced them to make it cycling friendly.

The path is 3.1m wide which meets the access requirements of the London Fire Brigade. The centre bollard is removable to allow fire access, but generally only when there’s an ongoing incident that they need a secondary access point. The team used this as a learning experience being the first proper cycle track built in the authority area for over 20 years (and what was already there was poor).

We took knowledge from this scheme and refined it for other projects, but sadly, the political administration changed, became very hostile to walking and cycling and very little has been build since. I know work for a consultant applying my learning to other projects. Location here. The last laugh was that the new development has streets named after trees, so we got this link officially named as “Flame Tree Path”.

Mike Banim
      Participant

This is a brand new piece of infrastructure (rapid build, tactical) in my area. This photo was taken a few days after it was put in last week – the paint in the middle isn’t even complete, as there were some cars parked in the way when they were painting the lines!

As you can see, some of the old markings are still visible, and the surface quality isn’t very good. Further down the road the lane widens to nearly 3m wide with excellent quality surface, but I think this would be totally unrepresentative. Similarly on the main road outside my house, the quality of the cycle lane is far, far, far worse than this. I think this is a good representative design of what our council is currently building in these covid-19 times.

This is located on the below google maps link – however, it is so new that it isn’t visible:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3480673,-6.2938088,20.68z

Padmadip Joshi
      Participant

Designated cycle track with 1.5 m width in Rajkot, Gujarat. It is part of the smart city mission in India.

We face issues of discontinuity of tracks due to local obstructions, or sudden change in gradient, etc. But people are coming out strong and using the infrastructure for work, leisure, play, etc.

Google maps link:Rajkot Cycle Track

(From 22.270279, 70.760984 to 22.275895, 70.778026) straight stretch.

Designated cycle tracks

Andrew Russ
      Participant

The good. Stanningley Road, Leeds. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7996472,-1.5933674,3a,75y,273.64h,72.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sz1PklXTGzh51sfjf7kAIXw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Part of a project called City Connect, the council was one of several in England which won a sum of money to create cycling infrastructure, from central government, in a bidding competition. The decision was made to link the cities of Leeds and Bradford with exemplar facilities. The cycle tracks are the grey bits between the grey footways and the grey carriageway.

Arthur Ferrer
      Participant

Sebastian,

That area looks great! The use of brick is a nice touch and a clearly marked cycle path. I’m confused by the traffic lights, are there still cars that use the road?

Best,

Hi!,

Actually the traffic lights are for cyclist and pedestrians haha. This road is crossed by some car roads but fortunately they had low traffic volume so its easily (kind of prior) to ignore them (lights). With the time this roads are going to be 4 pedestrians so traffic lights are fortunately temporary.

Thanks.

Andrew Russ
      Participant

The bad. Sheepscar Interchange, Leeds.
      https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sheepscar,+Leeds/@53.8083922,-1.5357199,3a,75y,3.7h,80.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syHBOiegUFX8pvAqZXjWcGg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x48795c0f29842cf7:0x348bd0f293699465!8m2!3d53.8074787!4d-1.5360196

Historic provision at one of the busiest junctions in Leeds and not far from the city centre.

So bad the council created a map to show cyclists how to navigate it! https://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/sheepscar%20cycle%20routes.pdf

Hi Andrew, I see that the bicycle lane is extremely narrow for a main road dominated by cars.

-With a large volume of motorized vehicles I would recommend changing this bicycle lane into a separated bike path and consume the left most lane. If space cannot be given on the right side then the left separated bicycle path could turn into a 2-way lanes for bicycles. This would make cyclists feel safer as well due to a vertical and horizontal separation.

-This would most likely be opposed by drivers traveling to the destination on the left since a lane would be removed. Probably opposed too by the local government due to the separated bike paths being more costly than a simple lane with lane with paint. They might say traffic might be worse but with the new separated bike path some users might switch modes thus reducing traffic.

Arthur Ferrer
      Participant

Thanks for sharing Camila! That is a really inviting bike lane, a lot of protection for the cyclists, and love the trees along the sidewalk.

Andrew Russ
      Participant

The indifferent. Kirkstall Road, Leeds.
      https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sheepscar,+Leeds/@53.8075863,-1.5864081,3a,75y,51.99h,73.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sItvzl3K-LBHnnkKeM0-GSQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x48795c0f29842cf7:0x348bd0f293699465!8m2!3d53.8074787!4d-1.5360196

Fairly recently installed (last 3 years). Unfortunately the cycleway and footway are designed such that vehicles entering and exiting the side streets are more or less at carriageway level. A better design (aside from using coloured asphalt throughout) would be to keep the cycleway nearer footway level and have ramps either side so that drivers had to slow down.

Kirkstall Road, Leeds

Andrew Russ
      Participant

Reply to post 26045

Where to start?! I suppose removing give-way lines where they aren’t needed is an ‘incremental’ improvement – although it looks like it needs a radical intervention.

This is just shockingly poor… https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7713654,-1.2668066,3a,67.3y,241.54h,75.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNsa3vVWyzL0ayADtEtvDVw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Would be better to use ‘Cambridge’ kerbs between the bus lane and cycle track (are they allowed in Oxford?) and a 60mm height difference between the cycle track and the footway (so as to be detectable by blind pedestrians).

Kimberly Koh
      Participant

Cycling infrastructure down the hill

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1%C2%B022’60.0%22N+103%C2%B052’37.4%22E/@1.3832971,103.8762294,18.3z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d1.3833194!4d103.8770667

Purpose : As the planned Park Connector Network is down the hill, a staircase with a bicycle ramp is built for cyclist to go down/ come up the hill.

In my opinion, the presence of the PCN is to encourage people of all ages to use. Meaning that, even if you are(or your friend is) in a wheelchair ( we call it Personal Mobility Aid), you can also bring yourself or push your friend easily on the ramp – ignoring the fact that there should be a locking mechanism in place to safely use the ramp. With only one bicycle rail, effectively the users under the category of PMA, baby prams, cargo bikes are already being discouraged or rather turned away.

Secondly, I also don’t really like the placement of the ramp, by putting the ramp on one side, it is forcing the user to push the bicycle on the side that is not their bias at any one time depending on the direction – the example below forces the user to push on the left side going down, right side going up -, for me I’m a right handed bias – the majority are – it is in my opinion, a very unfriendly design.

Lastly, this is a rather steep slope, if the ramp can be built more slanted, bringing the angle of incline for the ramp more gentle. This staircase can be turned into a full ramp , rather than just one bike ramp.

bicycle infractructure

James Hatler
      Participant

Replying to Andrew Russ’s Sheepscar interchange.

An improvement could be the use of more signage and more exclusive right of way for cyclists.

The opposition will say that this is a primarily car based junction

Adam St. Amant
      Participant

7 Avenue S bike boulevard in Lethbridge Alberta. This was installed a couple of years ago and features mini-roundabouts every other block for traffic calming, directional diverters to reduce through motor vehicle traffic, and a traffic signal for bicycles (right-in-right-out only for motor vehicles) at the 13 Street S intersection.7 Ave S Bike Boulevard Traffic Calming

Google hasn’t driven the route since it was built, but they have driven through the arterial intersection with the signal: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.6894685,-112.82406,3a,75y,329.08h,79.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPkBEBNKUXX-yEn-cCZ_wdw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

PIERRICK BLONS
      Participant

Replying to #26079 from Jesus

I’ll use the first picture for the exercise:

1. First increment: Protecting the bike lane with at least a medium separation or even an hard one as there are a lot of space.

2. Opposition: Except the cost of the infrastructure I don’t see what would block such an improvement.

Jesús Fuentes
        Participant

I agree w/ your assessment Pierrick. However, to achieve a buffer, drainage would’ve been sacrificed. The area immediately adjacent to the bike lanes constructed are “bio-swales” that were installed due to this corridor’s flooding issues. The original lanes were 12′, & they were reduce to 10′ to accommodate for the addition of these bike lanes. Aggressive traffic calming was used to keep the speed @ or around 25 MPH.

Rebecca Laurel
      Participant

This is a section of shared use path between Leicester and Hinckley (England), but it is quite a long way between the access roads so there is never many pedestrians on it. The road is fairly new (less than 10 years old) and was built as a bypass to avoid one of the smaller town/village centres.

Jeffrey Geerts
      Participant

According to iowabikeroutes.com, Des Moines area trails consist of over 550 miles cycling including 170 miles of on-street cycle paths, which include 89.5 miles of bike lanes and shared markings, 23.2 miles of paved shoulders and 58 miles of quiet on-street riding and off street 224.5 miles of shared-use paths, both paved and unpaved. I chose to photograph the only protected two-way bike lane built in the northern part of Johnston, Iowa, USA, just north of the state capitol city of Des Moines. This lane connects residential neighborhoods along the west side of a large federal flood reservoir to the main city of Johnston. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6919644,-93.6991181,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s37hXfMsgjNJPBpe6AopBYw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Protected Bike Lane/Path - Johnston, Iowa, USA

Jeffrey Geerts
      Participant

Hello Shannon,

I agree with Nick’s comments. Perhaps to better separate cars and tourist buses from the bike lanes movable planters could be used that would provide some better aesthetic most of the year, but could be removed in winter to better accommodate snow removal. The type of storm sewer intake grate might also be reconsidered as well since the one in the photo isn’t bicycle friendly.

Colin MacKenzie
      Participant

Had a couple of choices for Ottawa. We have some newer infrastructure in the last 5 years that is slowly making progress to protected, separated infrastructure. I went with the Main Street Cycle Tracks, which are in my old neighbourhood. This former 4-lane road was rebuilt to have one lane in each direction, with the hopes that it would revitalize the “main street” feel. So far it has been successful, with new commercial and condo developments going up in the years since it was built. However, there are still issues with the design including sharp turns for cyclists, numerous fire hydrants and light posts directly beside the cycle track, and awkward interaction zones with bus stops.

Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/8uFR3Ew57djNPJyW6

Main Street Cycle Tracks

Jansi George
      Participant

cycle lane Dublin

Mark Woodgate
      Participant

The hague modal filters

A picture from the Hague, with a confusing layout, multi-modal filters and bollards. Lots of hazards in the dark I would think.

The next steps would be to add some affordance, to aid proper traffic flow and improve safety.

Mark Woodgate
      Participant

I think the next incremental change here would be to tighten the curb radius and have a more pronounced ramp for the cars, this would help to define the priority of the cycle path and slow the cars further.

Colin MacKenzie
      Participant

My response is for Andrew Russ’ Kirkstall Road in Leeds.

I think he already touched on a big change I would make here, which is to bring the bike lanes up to the same level (or just a shade lower than) the sidewalk here.

The main change I would make here is to remove as many of the right turn pockets as possible on this section of roadway. I don’t see the need for them to turn onto residential streets such as Sowood, Bankfield and Argie (and even further down at the various Woodsides and Barnbrough). This would allow you to remove the centre lane and widen the cycle tracks, especially on the south side of the street where they are dangerous narrow. Additionally, this would give space to separate cyclists from bus stops, where they currently interact.

Lastly, I would propose that all those north-south residential streets that were previously mentioned should be one-way streets, alternating directions for each street. They don’t provide strong connectivity to other parts of the network, and could be repurposed to be more cyclist and pedestrian-friendly, such as the woonerf treatment.

Given that we’re just outside the core of the city, and not directly adjacent to major transit (although Kirkstall has transit priority further to the west) I assume this is a more suburban area, with lots of drivers. So I can see a major pushback on all these items from drivers, as they will see it as an attack on their mode of transportation. However these change will likely do very little to impact their travel time on a day to day basis.

Pablo Carreras
      Participant

In reply to #26045 from Kate Seal:

Hello Kate. Thanks for sharing this picture of a bike lane on Woodstock Road (Oxford).

I believe that this is a good example of how not to design a bike lane. Indeed, even if it’s protected from car traffic, its location on the sidewalk makes this bike lane very uncomfortable for cyclists and for pedestrians alike. The separation between the sidewalk and the bike lane is defined by a painted line only. There’s no level difference or buffer zone, as recommended by design guides. As a result, pedestrians probably walk on the bike lane, which reduces its efficiency for cyclists. In addition, there are several obstacles to cyclists, such as trees or bus stops, as you mentioned. Most probably, a large part of cyclists prefers to ride on the road than on the bike lane, even though this could create dangerous conditions for these users. In summary, this bike lane is not attractive enough to encourage people to cycle in Oxford.

In order to respond to this problem, I would recommend removing this bike lane and giving the sidewalk back to pedestrians. A new bike lane could be implemented between the sidewalk and the road, on both sides of the road. This would involve the removal of one car lane or the bus lane. In the first case, the street would become a one-way street for cars (the other direction could be accommodated on a parallel road). The second case would mean accommodating buses on the general travel lane or making changes to bus routes. Either way, it would be very important to study this project as part of a larger bike plan, which would define the role of each street in the bike network. The design of this road should be consistent with its role in the network.

If neither of these options is possible due to space constraints, I would suggest identifying a parallel road to implement this bike route.

The main political issue of removing a car lane could be the opposition from inhabitants or car drivers. In order to prevent this problem, it could be very useful to conduct a traffic study, allowing to measure traffic flows in the area. Eventually, this study could show that car traffic from the removed car lane could actually be accommodated on other streets. I also recommend involving the users in the redesign of this street, allowing to reduce their opposition and to integrate their needs and ideas into the project. In the case of bus lane removal, the strongest opposition would probably come from the bus service provider. In order to prevent this, I would recommend establishing a new bus plan in the area, without worsening the overall bus service, while involving the bus operator in the project.

Shannon Hill
      Participant

Reply to #26907 (not sure if it’s replying directly or this is a new post!)

All these improvements look pretty new and neat! My suggested improvement for the top photo would be to make the bike lane wider, and also to provide a buffer to the traffic. I’d be a little nervous using this with no separation to the vehicles. This lead us to the likely impediments to achieving this. It is noted that the traffic lanes were narrowed slightly to allow width for the bike lane – I can imagine this was a difficult process and resulted in the slightly less than ideal width and lack of separation. Additional reduction of the lane width would not be possible without removing one of the lanes entirely, likely a completely untenable proposition. It looks like there is a nice median and perhaps sidewalk off to the right of the road. While perhaps not a great alternative either, but would it have been possible to create additional room here for a wider bike lane with buffer? Certainly demonstrates that retro-fitting our spaces is difficult.

Kate Seal
      Participant

Reply  to George L’s reply

Kate Seal
      Participant

Reply to #26292.  Comes out at the bottom of all the posts rather than under your post.

Catherine Saldutti
      Participant

This is for the Bryant Street boulevard in Palo Alto:

I rode with my godson on this street while he was learning to ride a bike. It’s great.

I always felt it was a singular example, that the whole town wasn’t well-connected.

Catherine Saldutti
      Participant

street view, path off to the right

This is a regular maps view of the streetview I share below (can’t get over there now–our bikes were stolen out of our garage–story for another day). Here is the link: https://goo.gl/maps/WsqMjosdjndvT8st5

Catherine Saldutti
      Participant

This is the streetview of that path, which is off to the right

This is the street view of the same path, which is off to the right behind the fence. When I first moved to LA, I looked at the map of nearby Griffith Park, where I continue to hike often. While on the map, the cycle path looks inviting and easy to get to and long, the connectivity from my home is treacherous. People use this path quite a bit, but some are put off by the homeless encampments and feel unsafe. So for newcomers to the city, labeled paths don’t tell the whole story, particularly about connectivity.

Catherine Saldutti
      Participant

Reply to Robin’s post about a Swedish bike path: “But at difficult points cycle paths often just disappear and you find yourself without any protection in a big intersection. So what would make the cycle paths in Helsingborg more useful and valuable would be to combine the different pieces into one coherent network that is direct, safe and convenient to use as a whole.”

I’d just like to emphasize this point. I’m in full agreement with the “disappearing path” problem as a big red flag in places where I want to cycle for transport. Coherent networks are such a tipping point for many neighborhood or commuter cyclists.

Mike Banim
      Participant

Reply to Colin MacKenzie’s post about a protected bike path in Ottawa. Colin’s example shares some similarities to the emergency covid-19 bike lane in Dublin that I posted, in that it runs alongside quite a busy street, has some junctions with quieter streets, and is protected behind car parking with a buffer zone. Obviously there are significant differences as it has much stronger physical separation as it is a permanent piece of infrastructure.

Incremental improvements that I would see that could be made:

– The path doesn’t look that wide, so I think that could be improved. Either by narrowing the width of the car lanes (I’m not sure what Canadian regulations for minimum widths are), or by removing another lane.
      – Give priority to pedestrians and cyclists at the junctions with the side residential streets. These side streets look like they’d have relatively little traffic, so rather than have the pedestrians and cyclists yield to the roadway at each junction, there could be continuous footway and cycle paths here. Continue the footway and cycle lane at their grade, so that cars crossing have to mount (via a bevel-edged kerb) the footway and yield to any peds or cyclists.
      – Lower the grade of the cycle path slightly to make a clearer distinction between the footway and the cycle path.

Changes to narrow the car lanes (or to remove a lane entirely) would be met with opposition making predictions of increased congestion.

Changes to the junction design to a pedestrian & cyclist priority design would be opposed on safety grounds, and possibly also congestion grounds as above.

Changes to the grade of the cycle path might be of concern to disability groups, although I think this change would make it safer.

Anna Gogola
      Participant

Reply to #26254

The cycling infrastructure displayed on the above photo is a two-way track, separated from the motorized vehicle traffic by a median strip. I would suggest the following interventions to upgrade the safety of all road users.

• Implement an edge line (continuous white line) on the right side of the cycle track to define its width towards the grass area. I make this suggestion because the road lighting posts are on the opposite side of the road, and I can’t tell if the cycling track is safe at all hours and all weather conditions.
      • Implement a center line (dashed), to define the two directions.
      • Implement oriented bike symbols, to define the cycling directions.
      • Since the median strip has openings (I understand that they serve access purposes to private garages):
      1. Implement dashed stop lines at the opening of the median strip and its projection at the opposite side, to raise the attention of the turning/entering and the exiting from the garage vehicles
      2. Implement “Shark’s teeth” yield lines to raise the attention of the passing through cyclists
      3. Paint the whole area of the “intersection” to raise the attention of all users.

The above proposals could receive opposition due to the cost of upgrading a safe cycling infrastructure, such as a cycle track, separated by a median strip from the carriageway.

However, the suggestions and their cost are justified because it is essential to familiarize all road users with cycling infrastructure and cycle usage and improve safety for all road users by completing the existing infrastructure with the necessary signage and road marking.

Michael Clark
      Participant

London, Ontario Protected Bike Lanethis is the King Street protected bike lane on downtown London (Canada). It is about 2m wide and has a very wide buffer from vehicle traffic as well. Unfortunately it will be removed next year to make way for a dedicated bus lane.

King at Talbot EB – #2736
      London, ON N6A 1C1, Canada
      https://maps.app.goo.gl/YWXFvwfdTN4njuQG8

Jordi Valero
      Participant

https://goo.gl/maps/a2x65jFbsqRzXM4T8

Bike path. The problem is… not connected with anyone

Michael Clark
        Participant

Hello Jordi,

A) As you say it is important to make have connections to key destinations like retail areas, schools or universities. I would also look to add a barrier with more height to increase the safety of the bike lane and keep exhaust from cars away.

B) extending lanes to commercial and retail areas always rubs into concerns about removing parking it making it harder for vehicles to drive through the street. To which I would say since bicycles are so space efficient, and can stop easier. One or two parking spaces in front of a business will be more then made up for by increased traffic my cyclists.

<p style=”text-align: center;”></p>

Laura Keegan
      Participant

Replying to post #26094 from Alistair.

Hi Alistair,

This road looks all to familiar in layout to a lot of roads we have in Dublin!

a) What incremental improvement would you recommend for this particular example

You already identified the issue, which is that by ending the segregation of the bike lane from car traffic and creating a left filter lane on the other side of the bike lane, cyclists are left exposed to cars crossing from one lane to the other.

The fix is relatively straight forward. Fill in the left filter lane so it becomes part of the pedestrian path, extend the protection of the cycle lane right up to the lights. The traffic lane to the right of the cycle lane becomes a left turn lane. Create concrete islands at the junction to protect both cyclists and pedestrians, and to ensure drivers have to take a wider curve around the corner. It would be preferable if a cycle traffic light could be installed, giving cyclists a 10 second head start on green so that they could clear the junction before left turning cars got their green.

b) What kind of political and bureaucratic opposition this improvement would likely encounter

I think it’s likely to be opposed because it takes road space away from cars and reduces two lanes of traffic travelling straight ahead (with one funnelling left turning traffic to the left filter lane) to one lane travelling straight and one turning left. It may be deemed to slow the flow of traffic and is also likely to meet opposition at the possible cost of installing concrete islands, a cycle traffic light and reconfiguring traffic sequencing.

GIOVANNI PAGANO
      Participant

– the bike lane looks too narrow, therefore I would remove the dashed line which would make it wider

– Additionally, I would add more vertical separation within the tram lane, which would increase the feeling of safety

Certainly, there improvement will encounter cost opposition.

Daniel Mead
      Participant

Melbourne

Liz Irvin
      Participant

Huntingdon Road in Cambridge, the first use of the ‘Cambridge kerb’ that has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread. It’s a bit difficult to tell from this photo, but the forgiving kerb is between the road and the cycleway, and there is an upright kerb between the cycleway and the footway. This is a bit of an odd arrangement, as it means cars can very easily drive on to the cycleway. It also means people have to cycle on the road to overtake/avoid obstacles, and that some perceived width is lost due to the upstand kerb.

Cycle lane bypassing bus stop

Parallel (walking + cycling) crossing

Liz Irvin
      Participant

Replying to post #26043, Chen from Singapore.

Firstly, this sounds like a gorgeous cycling and walking route! It’s also nice to see a non-European or North American example.

Shared use paths are commonly used in Australia and the UK, and they quickly become a victim of their own success. With the increase in cycling in Australia during Covid lockdown, councils are resorting to urging people cycling to slow down on these paths. It makes sense for people to be considerate of course, but it is also difficult to share space between walking and cycling when you have large numbers of either of those modes. An improvement would be to delineate space for walking and cycling. This can initially be done with paint, and then eventually with a small, angled kerb so that there is a level difference. If we were to follow the Dutch, it would probably be a 3m-wide two-way cycleway and a 2m footway to one side.

Perhaps this idea would encounter opposition because of the cost involved, especially if the path had to be widened. There may also be opposition to converting green space to asphalt if the path did need to be widened.

Leo Dillon
      Participant

Segregated 2 way cycle track

The pickings are slim in my area so this was the best I could do. What I like about it is that it’s probably one the first pieces of infrastructure built in the city (maybe 10-15 years ago?) yet it is one of the few fully segregated cycle tracks in the city. It’s narrow for a two-way but it’s lightly trafficked so it’s not really a problem. Another nice feature that has been forgotten about on all recent infrastructure is the slightly raised angled kerb between the cycleway and footway. The markings were repainted recently. The downside is that it’s short and the junction treatments (roundabouts) at either end are poor.

https://goo.gl/maps/fVLCcDoVijKs4gLZ8

Richard Seager
      Participant

There’s literally no good cycle track in Dunedin, NZ/Aotearoa. This is the best of them and it’s about a km long and not very well used because it doesn’t really join up very well with other cycling infrastructure. You also frequently have to negotiate with pedestrians.

Dunedin Cycle Paths

Alexander Devyatkin
      Participant

There’s one of the few red bike paths in Moscow, Russia. Built by a developer on the territory of the residential complex to the nearest road. Unfortunately, then from the path to the metro you can cycle on the sidewalk only.

Mariusz Pleban
        Participant

Replying to #26368 Alexander Devyatkin

1A. i think the developer should think about the physical buffer (acne dots style) between the path and the motorized vehicles lane – i think there might be a tendency to park cars on the bike lane. This could help with getting rid of the middle line and would stretch out the width of the path

1B. ideally the cars lane would be narrower or as it is probably a residential street the whole concept could be reinvented and the idea of shared space could be implemented

2A – corresponding with 1A – there should not be a lot of problems with getting the permission for the higher buffers

2B – drivers could go mad with the idea of letting pedestrians and cyclist the way – they would insist on the developer and the local government not to proceed with the idea (plus the local governing body members as drivers could oppose)

Best,

Mariusz

Giovanni Zayas
      Participant

Forjadores Street in Puebla, Mexico. 7km-long protected bicycle lanes on each side of the road that connect 3 municipalities in the metro area. It is perhaps the best design in the city, even when it lacks safe intersections. It also needs more trees (picture shows the portion with the most green)!

https://www.google.com/maps/@19.0689344,-98.2996206,19.94z

Leo Dillon
      Participant

Replying to 26106 (Doug Gordon – Prospect Park West bike lane in Park Slope, Brooklyn)

Incremental change: Add some planters between the motor and cycle traffic to create a safer and more attractive space for cycling. Replace inside kerb with shallow angled kerbs to make it safer for people to cycle closer to the inside edge.

Opposition: Cost perhaps, maintenance of planters. Would make parking a car a little more difficult so I’m sure people would complain about potentially scraping cars off the planters.

Richard Seager
      Participant

a) what incremental improvement would you recommend for this particular example, and

This road Bankfield Terrace shown leading off Kirkstall Road, Leeds (#26213) is probably the closest to what we have in Dunedin, NZ/Aotearoa being somewhat similar to some of the University precinct in North Dunedin. For example here;

https://bit.ly/3dOjEJ9

Currently there is very little bicycle infrastructure in the University precinct and what is there is poor and often quite a lot less than 1.8 metres wide for example.

a. I’d prefer to turn Dundas Street into a cycling street as I would like to do to the entire University Precinct. But incrementally? It’d turn both Bankfield and Dundas into one way streets with traffic calming (speed bumps or judder bars as we call them locally, chicanes for the cars, a new word for me but which I gather means cars parked on either side of the street in 3/4 car increments, and a clear indication via colour of the road that bicycles are prioritised, Amsterdam red seems good but Dunedin seems to have decided on green. Also I’d include lots of spots to park bikes preferably with ability to lock them up as an unattached bike would disappear pretty quickly in North Dunedin. I can’t see why this could not be a simple metal ring set into the road which you can lift up to attach your lock chain to it (not sure if this is done anywhere).

b. The University Vice Chancellor, likely the Green Party Mayor of Dunedin and probably 70-90% of the city councilors would oppose this. As would the movers and shakers of this town who still havn’t had the good sense to move aside. Their focus is still on cars. The Green (in name only) Mayor Aaron Hawkins has shown no interest in cycling infrastructure (albeit he might not publicly oppose it) and there are several councilors (of 14) who definitely would actively oppose such measures. A few of the remaining councilors would probably just let the noisy ones decide so I’d suspect the majority of the current council would effectively oppose the measure. I have confidence in only one of the fourteen and he would be possibly curtailed by his own (Labour) party. The planners on the Council would also likely oppose it as they seem more keen on playing Twister;

Twister – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twister_(game)

Council planners in action (this has been widely ridiculed in NZ) – https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/local-government/121557561/city-council-runs-circles-over-dunedins-main-shopping-streets

The Council’s long term plan for changes to the main shopping street, George St, are slightly better although not good enough mainly due to the cycle part of their plan including lanes maybe 1 – 1.5 metres wide which includes most of the current (there’s not very much) urban cycle infrastructure in Dunedin.

Mariusz Pleban
      Participant

Aleje Ujazdowskie bike path

So here is an example from Warsaw. Usual bike path in the city. Two directions. Width of around 220-250 cm.

https://www.google.pl/maps/place/52%C2%B013’16.5%22N+21%C2%B001’29.1%22E/@52.2212831,21.0249547,16.25z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d52.221249!4d21.0247402

Kate Seal
      Participant

Reply to Mariusz’s wonderful cycle  track example from Warsaw:

What a lovely, inviting cycle way.

The only suggestion I can make for any incremental improvement would be to change the priority at the incoming side street.  I’d make it clear that incoming traffic should beware and yield to cyclists on this excellent cycleway.  I’d indicate this by signage, a traffic calming speed bump (perhaps in brick rather than asphalt) and in an ideal world I’d make cycle ways a different coloured asphalt (red is the most forgiving and blends best with brick building infrastructure).    Universal red asphalt is a brilliant idea as it becomes second nature for traffic to look out for cyclists wherever they see it.

Different coloured asphalt and side street treatment would cost money and be disruptive to implement.

Denis Liutov
      Participant

The way that Prague politics are trying to push at least some kind of cycling infrastructure

https://www.google.ru/maps/@50.0974659,14.4357893,3a,75y,33.15h,75.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIbssFaOBIeeG2pckSTK_9w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Alex Robb
      Participant

I currently live in Oxford (South of England) which is described as a “Cycling City” but you would find this hard to believe at times! It does have quite a good modal share of people using bicycles (by UK Standards) at 27% of journeys to work/education, however I think this down to a critical mass of students and other groups who tend to be more inclined to cycle, rather than any outstanding pieces of infrastructure. The city’s bike network is quite fragmented and there are only a few examples of dedicated protected cycleways, everything else is mostly retrofitted “shared use” facilities (pedestrians & cyclists on a pavement) which do nothing to reallocate roadspace and often cause conflicts of space usage between pedestrians (particularly visually impaired) and people on bicycles. There are some impressive plans underway to improve the city but it still has work to do to earn it’s title of a “Cycling city!”

Google maps link to image location – https://goo.gl/maps/nHVNycZRa3goFgRw5

Terraced cycleway at ‘The Slade’ in Headigton, Oxford - one of the better pieces of infrastructure in the city

Alex Robb
      Participant

Unfortunately my hometown of Aberdeen (Northeast of Scotland) has an almost non-existent culture of cycling as only 3.2% of people use a bicycle to travel to work. The city has historically been known as the “oil capital of Europe” so as you would probably guess the “car is king” here, even in 2020 🙁  Whilst the council (municipal government) are very slowly changing their outlook towards more sustainable transport, the city is years behind when it comes to bicycles, even by Scottish standards. There are no protected cycleways in the city and no integrated network, it’s pretty much just painted lanes if you’re lucky. What few example there are of bicycle infrastructure are crappy 2-3m shared use facilities (mostly built by private housing developers as a condition of their planning permission) and the best cycle routes are off-road paths which use the track beds of dismantled railway lines. You basically need to be brave to cycle in Aberdeen, so a lot of effort is needed for the city to change!

Google maps link to image location – https://goo.gl/maps/NPL5E6m1DjPNv7y48

A shared use facility in Aberdeen - notice that this has been built the wrong way round with pedestrians having to travel alongside the road

Jordi Valero
      Participant

Current issues: Promenade, presumably there must be some time when many people circulate on the sidewalk, in addition, the bike lane is at the same level as the sidewalk. The bike lane does not connect with any other, that is, it does not seem to form a mobility network, it only accompanies the promenade. We don’t have traffic data, but it looks narrow for a two-way bike lane.
      There are no pedestrian crossing points to the sea, danger and conflict.
      Also, to the west, the sidewalk seems to narrow and the bike lane becomes one-way. However, the space for cars remains the same.
      The street is very wide, two-way and double line parking, cuts and completely isolates the seafront from the town center.

Improvements: Being a seafront, it would be better to pacify or better, to remove the transit of motor vehicles parallel to the coast, to promote the use of pedestrians (wide sidewalk), commercial uses and a good two-way central bike lane.

Complaints; Obviously reducing cars or eliminating them would be rejected by traders, who would claim that their customers will not be able to reach their businesses, but do not think that having more pedestrian space would benefit them (people on bikes or on foot have more chances to consume)

Richard Seager
      Participant

re #26405 (I don’t think that the threaded replies are working George).

Not sure why we’re so similar. I suspect that it has something to do with our similar anglo-sphere political system which obviously is not as adaptive as the Danish & Dutch ones for installation of cycling infrastructure.

The cycling infrastructure in Inverness is made of a few isolated lanes and paths that don’t connect with each other and also don’t link strategic places such as train and bus stations, schools, etc. The cycling culture as a means of transport is almost non-existent. Cycling over here is mainly leisure or sport activity. While trying to photograph a few examples I witnessed cyclists not using the infrastructure even when there was one. The image below shows a cyclist on the pedestrian pavement rather than on the cycling lane.

Another example of a cyclist not using the cycle lane, instead using the pedestrian pavement. This road is not the busiest road, but as I was taking photos I noticed that most cyclists didn’t use the lanes, perhaps due to not feeling safe as the lanes as also used by cars. To me that infrastructure is a failure.

On this example it is a wide road with car parking, a buffer between car parking and cycle lane, than there is a space which is not divided but it is for car in both directions, and another cycle lane. For cars it is very confusing to know where you should be as you are supposed to have your car half on top of the car lane and half on top of the cycle lane. For cyclists it doesn’t feel safe at all, and the cycle lanes are only coloured in places.

This is the image for the post above, for some reason it didn’t upload before.

Daniel Bhaumik
      Participant

Philadelphia bike lane

Daniel Bhaumik
      Participant

Philadelphia bike lane

Mehdi Hasanzadeh
      Participant

Bike path

Daniel Bhaumik
      Participant

• Think it’d be useful to widen the lanes in general, and maintain the greenspace to the right.

• Can’t see this one having many problems, as it’s very self contained.
      Mehdi Hasanzadeh
      Participant

Reply to #26100 second photo :
      1) because of the high volume of vehicle traffic and pollution and noise situation bike lane is not good option and bike path is better choice in this case.
      2) decreasing width of motor traffic and removing one lane of it. This lane can be green area and it’s good for transforming of bike lane to bike track.

Petrice Espinosa
      Participant

This is the pedestrian/bike bridge from San Mateo Drive in Menlo Park over the San Francisquito Creek to the Stanford University campus/Palo Alto. It is a safe and stress free way to travel and avoid busy El Camino Real or Alameda de las Pulgas.

benoit GILLIOT
      Participant
      Kate Seal
      Participant

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!

Pont de Pierre à Bordeaux

João Marques
      Participant

Two examples of cycling infrastructure in  Lisbon in the same neighborhood, the top one from a small residential street with a median and the bottom one from a main artery avenue in Lisbon, in the same vicinity

Tarik Qirem
      Participant

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.577835,0.1780421,3a,75y,55.44h,68.71t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1shSgNL7qc1cTmU2UUGHThMA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DhSgNL7qc1cTmU2UUGHThMA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D320.79584%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

This is a segregated cycle track I designed and supervised the installation of on site.  I ensured that there was pedestrian and cycling priority across the junction and car park entrance with visual hints such as using paving blocks etc.

Esraa Elesawy
      Participant

In fact, cycling activity in Egypt is so scarce and there are no bike lanes at all, however, people cycle along the corniche on the weekends.

As you can see, this is photo was taken in Alexandria, Egypt. In fact, there is no cycling lanes or cycling practice at all in Alexandria, however, Alexandrians are always keen on cycling along the corniche road and sometimes have marathons just for fun.

every weekend

I’d like to suggest an improvement in the width of this bike path, because I think it’s too thiny, and an improvement about this intersection too, because in this picture there’s no facilities when the bike path arrives at the intersection.

In this particular case, I think these improvement that I suggested would encounter the bureaucratic opposition about the intersection, because there’s no facilities, and there’s just a crosswalk, with no signs on the street and no bike traffic lights.

Denis Liutov
      Participant

In Prague there are lots of zones 30. They are usually one ways as well to increase the number of parking spots. But cycling in other directions aren’t done in most streets. The problem as well the narrow to overtake streets, less than 3,75m, so cyclist are squished between cars and parked cars, where they can be doored.

Stephen Williams
      Participant

This is the promenade in Swansea which is our main cycling route. An old railway line, which is all we get! Promenade in Swansea

Stephen Williams
      Participant

Reply to 26438

A) I would move the cycle lane to the inside next to the pavement, and potentially get rid of the parking if necessary. Provide some protection with sleepers.

B) Moving the bike lane would be easy. Removing the parking would be like going to war!

Gali Freund
      Participant

I’m from Tel-Aviv, and for me, the best cycle path is the one by the beach.

It is the first north-south “fast lane” in the city. Should be wider though, given the amount of cyclists and electric bicycles who use it daily. There should be one less car lane.

The best cycle path in Tel-Aviv - Herbert Samuel st. right by the beach

Here is a picture of one of our pop-up bicycle lanes in San Juan City, Metro Manila. It has got a long way to go before it becomes a permanent and functional bicycle lane.

San Juan city pop-up bike lane

Noel Fennelly
        Participant

(a) Suggested incremental improvements

• Widen cycle lane and provide light segregation via bollards, temporary kerbs etc
        • Upgrade to permanent segregated cycle track when funding permits. Ensure wide buffer between cycle track and motor traffic – reallocate road space of necessary

(b) what kind of political and bureaucratic opposition this improvement would likely encounter:

• Potential reallocating of road space would likely encounter opposition from many camps including members of the public, local politicians, car lobby groups etc
        • Funding a permanent cycle facility might encounter opposition also if local officials are car centric or if resources are tight

Cycle lanes in Sector 11, Chandigarh

Zoey Mauck
      Participant

This bike lane is in Oklahoma City, routed behind a streetcar station

a) While this is a bold infrastructural change for Oklahoma City to be considerate of bikes and not just cars, there is still more that could be done. This lane could be widened by quite a bit and better separated from the sidewalk.

b) This project would likely be opposed by those who are also opposed to the streetcar system, especially if they feel parking would be a better use of the outer lane of the road here.

Hugo Nicholls
      Participant

Protected intersection at Albert Street / Lansdowne Street, East Melboune, Australia

Albert Street / Lansdowne Street in East Melbourne (built 2020!): https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.8098488,144.9777555,18.58z?hl=en

Noel Fennelly
      Participant

Segregated cycle track in Maynooth, Co. Kildare, Ireland (https://goo.gl/maps/cyQW1zQg51uwXTdm9)

Viewing 121 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart