Home Forums Module 1 – Designing for Cycling: What do you need to know? M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling? Reply To: M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling?

Anonymous
Inactive

Hello everyone, my name is Arnout. I am originally from the Netherlands, but I currently live in the SF Bay Area.

1) I have an engineering background, so I identify with an engineering/scientific method based approach. I am looking for proven design concepts that are safe and encourage cycling and, on top of that, can be applied universally.

2) Because of my engineering mindset I think that if you come up with a theory of how to improve transportation, safety etc, one has to be able to measure it in real life. This can be, for example reduced travel time, or fewer accidents. At the same time, I realize one has to be careful when setting design goals. E.g. level of service (LOS) is still widely used in the USA and results in cities covered in asphalt which are impossible to navigate for pedestrians and bikes.

In addition, I think an unique perspective for the Bay Area is that I am from the Netherlands, and that I have personally experienced excellent bicycle infrastructure for most of my life. I know what is possible when cities decide to invest in ped/bike infrastructure, and hire traffic engineers and consultants that know how to design good infrastructure.

3) LinkedIn profile

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top