Home Forums Module 1 – Designing for Cycling: What do you need to know? M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling? Reply To: M1L1 – What can YOUR expertise and background contribute to cycling?

Michael Clark
Participant

Hello, my name is Michael, I am an Urban Planner in London, Ontario, Canada.

1) I have worked for 4 years as an urban planner doing municipal planning documents (Official Plans, Neighbourhood Plans) as well as land development applications. Before that I worked in a non-profit supporting small businesses, and helping engage the local community and ensure their views were represented in the planning process. I have also gradually begun bike more and more. I start riding my bike to university since it was quick, and easy. I then started racing on a bike as part of triathlons. And recently in my job i have switched to commuting by bike almost every day and year round through snow, slush, rain, and the heat of summer. I bike because, in addition to the environmental benefits, it also reduces my stress, keeps me active and fit, and lets me spend more time outside.
2) How do you think your unique perspective will enhance our collective understanding of designing for cycling? I live and work in a smaller urban centre (about 400,000 people), which has some older denser areas with narrower streets, but is largely quite a spread out, sprawling city. Our land uses are also quite segregated, with large residential subdivisions, commercial nodes, downtown offices, and industrial areas at the edge of the city. Despite being spread out, the city is small enough that a majority of people could bike to downtown in about 30 minutes. I am interested in how these ideas translate to smaller cities and bring this perspective to the course.
3) My name is Michael Clark, you can find me on twitter at @MichaelARClark or in LinkedIn.

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top